what should you teach a 1 year old?

My son is turning 1 this week and I feel like i should be teaching him more. He walks and bables and tryes to copy what you say. He doesnt liek playing with me though. Anyone have any ideas on things i can teach him or toys hed want to interact with me with.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• start to sing your abc's, point out colors (color of a car, color of a sign), point out letters, count the cars, count the trees. at this age its reptition that teaches them. so do that kind of thing every day while he plays and he'll learn/recognize things soon. teach hot and cold (put hand on outside of a warm mug and of a cold glass of water), animals (get picture books and just point pictures out), let him color, building blocks, bouncing balls. basically any time he is playing is learning time right now, so when he is playing w/a yellow dump truck say its a yellow dump truck. the yellow dump truck is driving. stuff that sounds silly to us but to them teaches alot!
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I have always sang and danced with my daughter. I've sat out blocks and cars or dolls and I would sit down and play with them and she would wander over and play with one too. They don't really understand the concept of "joint play" yet.

But if you sing the ABC's and count and say colors and shapes to your child at a young age it helps.

I have also been teaching my kids sign language.

My daughter is two and knows please, thank you, sorry, milk, more, juice, cereal in sign language and a couple of others.

So basically just do the basics! Bring out tactile toys, color ful things, blocks, balls, play chase (chase your child around like you are gonna tickle them LOL My daughter always loved that! and still does!)

PoeDunkMae

Answer by PoeDunkMae at 1:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My son turned 1 last week, I try to explain everything to him that I'm doing. Such as, when he holds up his empty milk cup, I will say, "More, please." When he reaches out for my face, I will take his hand and put it next to my eyes and say, "Eyes, nose, mouth", moving his hand each time. I have him hold the clean diaper when I am changing him, I just talk to him all day long, and not in baby talk. We didn't use baby talk with my dd, and her vocabulary at 9 years-old is fantastic. Just point things out to him whereever you are, you will be surprised how quickly he picks things up.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 1:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2009