What should I buy?

I am going to the store after lunch. I have about $50 for me and my 17 month old. I really don't know how to cook, since DH always did. But since he left I have to cook and I am clueless!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Luck you that you never have to cook. Since you got $50 for the day...treat youself to have good lunch or dinner or if DH is coming home for dinner, go get some good take outs.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 1:12 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• You could buy:

Soup/ Salad
    Macaroni & Cheese/chicken nuggets/fish sticks
    Hot Dogs/can of baked beans
    pasta sauce/noodles
    small steak/ baked potato

mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 1:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Go to the library first. Check out a couple of kids cookbooks. I am not kidding. Cookbooks for children are simple and a great way to start cooking. My favorite is Pretend Soup.

Good staples are: whole wheat pasta, jarred marinara (until you learn to make your own), dried beans and lentil, onions, carrots, hummus (until you learn to make your own, this is super-easy), frozen vegetables like chopped spinach and broccoli, whole wheat tortillas, cheese, mild salsa, lettuce, carrots, broccoli slaw, tofu, avocados

I have a few simple recipes; send me a message offlist if you are interested.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I would check out the sales and what looks good. Or if the 50$ is just for tonight.GO SPLURGE!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 6:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2009