Can a window break for no reason?

I have a sliding glass door in my basement and yesterday the outside pane shattered into thousands of pieces. I was sitting in my house and heard a crash and next thing I knew, there was glass all over my patio. The door is only about 8 years old and my kids were not outside at the time so they did not throw anything at it. We have had some crime in the area as of recently so I am wondering if someone could have shot it with a bb gun or just a freak accident. Any ideas?

KathMW

Asked by KathMW at 12:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I also need to add that there have not been any extreme temperature changes in the weather, so it isn't that.
    KathMW

Answer by KathMW at 12:51 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• The weather wouldn't be the factor since those new sliding door uses stronger glass to sustain the tempture changes. I would say it might be caused by someone who was around. I am sorry that happened to your house. It's good that nobody was hurt.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It is possible that there was tension in the glass and it finally gave up, but I am doubtful. Maybe ask the repair person, maybe they'd have some idea.

Answer by Bmat at 1:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My ex husband is a glazier (he works with glass) & he's told me many stories of things just breaking for no reason. If the glass had any kind of defect (you may not even be able to see it) it can just crack or break without warning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2009