You're a hypocrite

That is my Step dd's new fave phrase. She is 13 and wants to know why her dad tells her not to do things that he does.
He smokes, and is trying to quit, she tried smoking and got into trouble, but says that is not fair because he smokes. Okay so that I can understand a little bit. She wants to know why she can't date, when I dated when I was her age. On and on the examples go.
Does anyone else's child do this and say these things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• These are the years that you have to remind them (sometimes daily, lol) that they are NOT grown...... even though they seem to think they are once those teen years come....... Remind her that when she is an adult, she will be able to make ADULT decisions, and not all adult decisions are the right ones, like letting you date at her age might not have been the right decision for your parents to make, so you are making a different choice when it comes to her, and that smoking is a nasty habit that most of us who smoke wish we had never started......keep informing her of the "better" choices and that you are making them in her better interest. When she is grown, she can make her own mistakes, but until then, it is up to her parents to help guide her, and you can even tell her that too. : ) Good Luck, the teenagers are SO MUCH FUN!!!! (some sarcasim included...lol)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 2:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Sounds pretty normal for 13. My 13 yo doesn't come right out and say "you're a hypocrite" but she does pull the attitude from time to time. I'm hoping it is just a phase.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• She's going through a rebelious stage, as did my step daughters. I had the advantage of a clearer perspective since they are teenagers and my husband is quite a bit older than I am so i could at least understand the desire to do what adults do and grow up too fast. I sat them down and told them some of the dumbass things I did and the resulting consequences that I had to deal with when I was younger and it helped alot. They *want* to do things that we did/do out of simple instant gratification and envy for the most part, they felt excluded, or simply wanted to feel older by partaking in activities that we deemed they weren't ready for. Dating, going out with friends to certian places, parties, sex, drinking, smoking, drugs: I told them about all of it and explained it's about earning trust and being mature. If they can't prove they can be trusted they can't expect to be treated like an adult.
    GinnyGreer

Answer by GinnyGreer at 1:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Sounds like a teen.

My response is...when you are an ADULT you can do as you like. Until then, my home and my rules.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My DD is like that and she's 4. I really dread her teen years.

She doesn't know what the word hypocrit means, but she knows that it's not fair that she's not allowed to do things that we are.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2009