Thinking of buying her a crest spin brush...what do you think, too young?

My 2 y/o DD loves to "brush her teeth" but only SHE can do it. Even though its great she loves to do it, I dont think she is getting them very clean...I mean she brushes them but I dont think its enough. But I also dont want to discourage her by forcing her to let me do it, so I thought a spin brush would clean them a little better than she is. What do you think? Is she too young for one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Get it or a smaller one for kids. My kids love them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• As long as her mouth is big enough for it since most of them have bigger heads. Just remember to take her to see her pedi dentist.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 1:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My pediatrician recommended getting one for my daughter and she was only 17 mos, so he's more than likey going to be fine. Unless of course he turns out to be TERRIFIED of the spinning brushes like my kid...
    GinnyGreer

Answer by GinnyGreer at 1:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• You probably should brush her teeth after her; 2 is WAY too young to do a good job. Give her a stuffed animal or a doll and a toothbrush; you can brush your babies' teeth together.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My DD is the same way. She want's to do it by herself. So i brush them first, and then let her finish.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I'm a dental hygienist. The spin brush is not designed to replace brushing the old fashioned way. It has to be used exactly the same way that you use a standard toothbrush. In my experience, the children that use a spin brush with no assistance from their parents tend to have poorer oral hygiene.
    What I instruct parents to do is make brushing fun. I love the fact that your daughter likes brushing. Make it a game between the two of you. First brush together. Next ask her to check your teeth with your toothbrush. After she has checked your teeth than you check hers.
    2 years old is a perfect age to begin flossing too. They make all kinds of yummy tasting floss - cherry, fruity tooty, grape, etc.
    A spin brush is ok - you just want to be sure it is being used properly - don't expect the brush to do the work.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:15 PM on Sep. 18, 2009