Would you feel safer if your child went to a school with a metal detector?

I would.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in

• well i'll be homeschooling, but i feel if the school needed one, i'd find a different school....i went to hs where the shot guns for hunting were in the truck, or knives cuz they fed horses that morn were in pocket, and they NEVER had anyone use them violently
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't...because that means the kids in the school have the histories of bringing weapons to school. I might think of moving or homeschool.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 1:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Ummm NO, I'd feel less safe if my childs school was in an area that thought they needed one.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• the other day, a student, in a very prominent school which had no history of bringing weapons to school, fatally stabbed another student. It only takes one looney. I would just feel safe that they are taking the precautions. But I guess thats just me. --OP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• All of the chicago public schools have them; all of the high schools are required to use them. The HS my daughter attends uses them sporadically.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• No way!

It would make me more fearful because that would mean that our government believes that there are children attending my child's school that are at high risk for bringing weapons to school and using them... our governemnet isn't going to fork over that kind of money on school security unless they believe that the school is in VERY high risk that way!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I live in a rural area, with no gang activity, and I don't have the extra money that would be required to pay for such devices. The school taxes would have to go up to compensate for that. I guess if I lived in the Ghetto though, I would want metal detectors and high security at every door.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I think I'd find a different school.

The kids who brought the guns to Columbine weren't from the "ghetto"-they were from an upper middle class neighborhood. Don't stereotype, anon 126.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I went to high school with metal detectors and book bag checks. It cut down on drug activity. Honestly, we weren't ghetto kids at all. And you know anon 1:26...it's odd...the school shootings here..I don't recall any of them being in the hood.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 7:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I went to one as a teene. I ived in Salt Lake. It wouldn't make me feel safer, becuase I have first ahnd experience they still figure out ways of gettting weapons in.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 9:59 AM on Sep. 18, 2009