Special Needs Children Mixed In?

My son just started kindergarten, I was with him his first day, The Special Needs classroom is one door down, They go with my sons class to lunch, playtime, and any extra class music, gym, ect. Know I know that it is benificial for the Special Needs children to be around others, however the other children don't seem to have a clue what they are all about, they just kind of throw them all together. What does anyone think about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in

• at the school that i work k-8 all special needs kids are included in the regular ed classroom all day/ they do pull them out for extra help but they are just apart of their age appropriate class. i dont think it hurts anyone and kids are so much more accepting of people with special needs than i was as a kid.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Mainstreaming has been around for a long time. It offers more opportunities to the special needs kids and teaches tolerance and acceptanct to the "regular" kids.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• "however the other children don't seem to have a clue what they are all about, they just kind of throw them all together."

you're right, the children don't know what they are all about. They are just kids and if you take the time to get to know any special needs kids, you'll find out that they are much like any other kids. They like to play, be silly, have friends.... it benefits all the kids in settings where special needs kids are included in activities. The typical kids learn to embrace differences, the special needs kids get to feel like they belong. Its a win-win (unless you are afraid that their special needs are contagious, if so, you need some therapy tp deal with your irrational phobias)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• To some point I believe their are too many special needs kids in schools; I say this because I am worried about how can one teacher teach as many kids as they do and then on top of all that put one and or more special needs kids in the same class; Yes, I do relize that para's are in the room also but they are not the ones responsible for making sure ALL the kids got the best the TEACHER is the one held responsible at the end of the year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I moved my childs kindergarten because of this. I didnt want them in a class together, and wasnt told it was going to be like that! My daughter came home acting like a complete idiot! I moved her school,they dont have them mixing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Anon 1:20 - I completely agree.

Anon 3:06 - I find that so sad and disheartening. Wow.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 4:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I teach a mainstream class and it benefits all the children. Everyone learns that we are all different but equally valuable and deserving of respect. My students always have exceptionally high achievement, those with disabilities and without.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Anon 3:06 -- maybe your sweet DD came home acting like an idiot because she was taking after her mother more than the fact that she was exposed to children with SN? Think about it, really. Small children learn the most from their home environment. I'm so sorry for your little girl.

All my children have learned by being exposed to a child with SN is tolerance, love, and most of all acceptance of all people, even those not like them. Then again, God bless them, they have me as their prime example and not you... thank heavens.
    KatScarlett

Answer by KatScarlett at 1:32 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• I have mixed feelings on this one. As an ed major you pretty much learn from the get go the importance of the LRE..Least restrictive learning environment for special needs children. I agree with this but each case is different. My now 18 yr old DD was in a class that from the 2nd grade on had a child with pretty severe Downs. She had a personal aid with her in the room, but she was very disruptive...and at a young age that makes it hard for others to tune that kind of thing out and pay attention. She was not doing anything close to the 2nd grade level of education other than sitting in a room of children her age. I almost felt like it was mean to have her there. She could not bond with others, she could not keep up in class, she was "different" and I think learning life skills was better for her than pretending to be something she wasn't. Very emotional issue. I felt bad for her and her mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• ew anon 306 whats that all about.are we teaching ignorance???maybe intolerance?would she not be able to play with my child cause she has an iep ans cant read well.that saddens me.special needs kids work very well with other kids.my daughter is in a regular classroom ..but i bet my daughter can swim across the pool fast than yours...and kids with downs are the most nuturing kids there are.dont you know they are a blessing from God?what would have done if the dr had told you your child was going to have special needs aborted it?or love it just the same....i am not going to put anon but i want you to go on my profie and see my daughter and how beautuful she is...really i hope you think again about this.....ignorance is bliss baby ignorance is bliss
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 18, 2009