Depressed, without insurance... :(

I don't qualify for medicaid, or low income insurance, because of my fiance's job. (I am a stay at home mom) Both our kids are on his insurance. I'm on zoloft, for depression, but it just isn't helping. I don't understand. I have a happy family, a fun life... I'm just so sad. I can barely cook and clean and play with the kids, I just want to curl up in my bed and try to sleep. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Health

• 07upsydaisy what a good idea!!!! op that is really something to push for - you've made babies together, you're responsible without him while he's working - him marrying you will honor you even more than he honors you now, You deserve the legal status of marriage should he pass for what you do for your family and it gives you health insurance.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• You need a different medication than Zoloft. Not all depression medications work on the same areas...you sound like a different area is causing your depression.

I think if you went to the courthouse and got a marriage license tomorrow you could get on your new hubby's insurance.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 1:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• OP here:
    I'm a former addict (clean for 5 years). I had a problem with pills, so I'm scared to take something like xanex.
    We've been trying to save a little and plan for a nice wedding, something we could both remember and cherish. I don't want to just march down to the courthouse, but maybe it has just come to that....
    That just makes me more sad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It sounds like you need a different medication! Zoloft sounds like it is causing your depression and you need to get off of it! BUT DO NOT JUST STOP TAKING IT!!!!!!! Trust me, I've been there! What you need to do is SLOWLY wean off it under close watch! I didn't understand this and stopped, then took 6 a few days later to keep from sliting my wrists which made me the happiest you can ever feel I swear!!! Then I was hooked in taking too much. Now, I know you aren't supposed to adjust your medication... but if you are taking a pill, take half a pill. If you are taking 2, take 1.5. See if that helps.... and if it does take it for a couple weeks!!! Having no insurance is very hard esp when you need help! If you get to the point you just want to give up GO TO THE ER!!! I hope you feel better and get this figured out! GL!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• You don't have to take Xanax. There is Wellbutrin and Effexor to name a couple more.

I'm not saying not to have a beautiful wedding, just to get the license now and have the party later!
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 1:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• thank you ladies. i guess i just might do that. its been in the back of our minds for a while. maybe its time to think harder on it, or just do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Can you get out? Serisously, walking and making a point to get out every morning, have coffee, make lunch, plan dinner, do a few chores. You might really benefit from a solid routine. No one likes to hear this but exercise really does help.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2009