Anyone have any experience with a papoose board at the ped dentist?

My 2.5 year old has a chipped front tooth that has decay, the ped dentist said they would need to put him in one of those papoose boards to do the work, it will take about 10-15 minutes. At first I thought it would be ok because the dentist is against sedating kids, which I was initially afraid of, but after doing some research, it seems that many have NIGHTMARE experiences with these things... anyone have a good experience? I just don't know what to do... and I'm terrified of traumatizing my son.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 1:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• A papoose board was used when my 3 year old got a piece of metal in his eye. I had to walk away, he was screaming so loud. I cried as much as he did - but it was what had to be done for them to be able to help him. When I was able to compose myself I went to him - he was okay once he figured out that it didn't hurt.... but the first thing they had to do was put a dye in his eye and the dye numbed it a bit (which gave him relief) He's 19 now - and doesn't remember a thing. He didn't have nightmares then either. It was traumatic at the moment - but he was fine that night and the nights after. It's one of those necessary evils we gotta do sometimes. I'm sorry you're facing it.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I have no idea about papoose boards but I can tell you i let both my kids be sedated for dental work when they were younger (DD at 4 and DS at 3 1/2) and I'm really glad I did. Both my kids love the dentist (they are 5 and 7 now) and have no fear when we go. My DD has had fillings done without sedation now (just freezing) but because her first dental work was so easy on her she didn't fight getting frozen and a filling when she needed them now. I think if she had had to be restrained to do that when she was younger it would make now much worse.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 1:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• my youngest brother had to be put on one bc he would kick and freak just for a cleaning. he's not afraid of the dentist anymore (he's 11). i just know if they didnt use it, he would have been hurt more by his wiggling, or not allowing the dental work to be done and it would have gotten worse.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• sorry.. all I have to share as far as papoose boards go is horror stories involving my special needs DD. My 4 yo was SO afraid of going to the dentist (because of knowing what his sister went through) that I HAD to take him to a DDS that does partial sedation. I also found a DDS that will fully sedate my DD because not sedating her is just cruel and unusual punishment for her.

Now that we have a doc willing to do the partial and full sedation, I can't imagine going back to strapping them down in the papoose ever again. (though, my kids are HIGHLY afraid, so that may make a difference in whether your DD will do better with being strapped in while the dentists works on her)

Good Luck... I know its a difficult situation and we all hate to see our kids hurt and it is heartbreaking to see them terrified while the doctors really are just trying to help them...

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My son was in one to get stitches in his head when he was 2.5 It worried me to see them strap him in like that. (I hate to be confined! Anyway he did fine! They turned Finding Nemo on and he lay there and watched it. My friend had her son at the same age go to the ER for stitches i his head as well. They gave him some sort of nasal spray that made him 'drunk' before putting him on the board... I guess it depends on the doctors and parent preference... Ask a lot of questions!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I have 4 kids and my 2 younger ones have been put in it at the dentist and my youngest when she had stiches put in her mouth and they are both fine!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2009