Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support question

My friend is taking her childs father to court for child support she was with this guy for a bit they broke up when she found out she was preg...well they didn't break up he just NEVER talked to her again during the whole preg she would send him updates on the baby by text message and calling but he never answered when her number showed but if she called private he would answer and hang up well the baby is 6 months now and she finally got her court date does anyone know if he will or what kind of visitation he would get his name is not on birthcertificate will they just give him visitation w/o knowing what kind of father he will be??

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • That will really depend on what he asks for. If he doesnt want any visitation then they wont make him take it. If he wants it she might should ask for a drug test or limited visitaton if he has yet to see his child.

    Answer by treynlisa at 1:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

  • in the courts view: child support & visitation are two different issues- they would either have to agree on visitation or he would have to motion for it. As for child support he would either sign papers saying he is the dad or she would have to get him to take a dna test- once he was found to be the dad its 20% of his income. if they can agree on visitation it will be easier for both of them

    Answer by maiahlynn at 1:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

  • Tell her if they do ask about visitation because child support and visitation are suppose to be seperate issues-but my first child support hearing, they asked about visitation, and I said we could figure it out ourselves, I let him come get him whenever and he never does!! But I think if it was set he would show up so I am so happy it is they way it is so I don't have to put up with him!!

    Answer by blue_glass_mama at 2:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

  • In my area, when we go to court over child support, that is all the judge will hear. Our judges won't listen to any arguments, comments, complaints or anything about anything that does not specifically relate to the child support. So, here, he would have to file his own motion to request visitation if she didn't. At that point, there would be a hearing where the judge would listen to mom explain her feelings on visitation, and dad explain his, and the judge would try to find a solution that works best for both of them while keeping the best interest of the child in mind.

    Also, if his name is not on the birth cert, they will likely order a DNA test at the child support hearing, unless he tells them that he knows the child is his and doesn't want one. At that point, whether he admits the child is his or a DNA test is done and confirms it, his name will go on the birth cert.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 2:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

  • but she could also order a few birth certificates before the DNA test that will have just her name on it!! I did that for my daughter.

    Answer by blue_glass_mama at 4:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

  • wow my husband went though the same thing in his past relationship they split up be for he new she was pregnet he calls every week always asked to see pic but never saw her till she was 8 month he tryed when he was down on leave but she was be complecated and denined him visitation .... he is in the service over sea but because he never saw her he can only see her 5 days out of the week for no more then 4 hours and he pay 700 on child support so ya they do the worse to fathers who never see there kids regaRdless what the situation is or was

    Answer by LILMAMA102206 at 6:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.