Baby wants to be held all the time

My son has recently started being really clingy. He wants to be held and rocked all the time and I'm worried we are spoiling him. But I'm also concerned that he is too young to have to cry excessively. Any ideas?

SweeThang931

Asked by SweeThang931 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 4 mos. is pretty young. They get over it, trust me. My daughter was super cranky and clingy for the first few mos. I thought it would never end, but now she crawls and stuff and can entertain herself. It happens before you know it, but I feel your pain. I thought I had the fussiest, clingiest baby on earth. She is totally different now at 6 mos.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• how old is he?
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• If he is under one year (which i feel is safe to assume he is because you did post this in the0-12 section) then buy a baby sling. carry him around. you still have both your hands to do what needs to be done and he also has your comforting heart beat and body warmth to soothe him. :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Thanks ladies. Yeah I forgot to mention he is four months old which is why I dont think he should have to cry.
    SweeThang931

Answer by SweeThang931 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• you can't spoil a baby... my husband used to think the same thing because his mother told him that but I did tons of research about that -its just not true- they do grow out of that clingy stage when they are ready
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Enjoy it now as in a year or 18 months he won't want you to rock him or hold him anymore, then you'll be crying that he doesn't want anything to do with you.
    Like Pp said, you can't spoil a baby and it's probably just a little seperation anxiety. he wants the security of his mommy.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Continue to hold baby and love baby in whatever way baby asks. The studies state the more you answer their cries in the beginning and come to them the less they cry and 'demand' attention later in infancy. I, personally, have found this to be true as well as the other mothers I know that attended to their baby's cries and need for attention as baby asked.  Good Luck and love and hold that baby as often as he needs.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Normal normal normal! You CANNOT spoil a baby by holding him. That's like saying you spoil your husband when you show him affection.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:54 AM on Sep. 18, 2009