Male teachers are wimps?

In my neices school there are more male teachers than women teachers, I thought that was odd as it usually the other way around.
She is in 1st grade and her teacher is a man in his first year of teaching. My sister doesn't like it though, and thinks that teaching school is a "sissy" and " wimpy" job that a real man would never do.
Okay thought that was a little crazy, but what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think that's a really rude stereotype and discourages men from wanting to teach. My husband used to teach middle school math. He is now the vice principal but kids constantly say "you're too smart to work here, why don't you teach a higher level?" He went to an Ivy League school and can teach any level of math (calculus and above). The thing is, he loves middle schoolers because they're at an age where they still respect authority (for the most part) and are becoming little adults. It is opinions like your sister's who make good, valuable male teachers want to leave the profession. No one wants to feel like their job is laughable or wimpy. Plus, because lower school teaching is mostly female, kids miss out on strong male role models most of the time.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Male elementary school teachers certainly go against the stereotype and tradition, but there's nothing wrong with it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:06 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• if teaching is such a "sissy" and "wimpy" job why are there so many teachers of both sexes?
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 2:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• i work in a k-8 school, 2 of the grades (one class per grade, small school) are men, they are 7th and 8th grade, we do also have male gym, music and computer teachers..... are they wimps... no. they are the kind of men who would chose to work with kids. they are caring and compassionate, they relate to their women coworkers.... if that makes them wimps to her.... okay? my sil sees things that way (black and white as far as gender roles and jobs) her husband was in school to become a nurse and she was going to leave him if he didnt quit school because it was a girl's job/ my sil is a dumb ass!!! he would be making 60,000 per year, now he has a lawn company and is lucky to make 40 working his butt off... i think men who go into female dominated fields are more secure in their manhood... imo of course.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• lol, I think it takes a manly man to handle working with kids all day!!!
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• This makes me laugh. My cousin is a 4th grade teacher. He's so funny easy to be around I can see why he is so good with kids. He is also a rough and tumble farm boy who can out-work and out-shoot anybody I know. There is absolutely nothing that is sissified about him or his line of work. Does she feel the same way about a man who makes a living behind a desk or is it just the teaching thing?
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 2:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Most of my teachers and professors in college were men and they were far from wimpy.
    Sarah246

Answer by Sarah246 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• There are alot of people in my family who are or have been teachers. That would include my dad, my uncle and a male cousin. I had male teachers in grade school. They were cool; I liked them and they did a great job at their profession.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 2:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2009