Toddlers with TVs in their rooms?

What is your opinion about putting a TV in a toddlers bedroom?

jillybean6781

Asked by jillybean6781 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• To each their own parenting styles. My DD won't. If we have an extra room, that will be our game/playroom and there will be a tv in there and of course the living room. Other than that, not until she's older.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My 3 year old has one. It keeps mommy from watching Noggin when I want to watch grown up stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I think (in most cases) it's lazy parenting and doesn't teach the children a whole lot of anything. They need to learn how to play and interact. NOT how to sit on their butts and watch TV. Not to mention that the majority of parent's who allow toddlers to have TV's in their rooms are the kind of parents who dont care if the Spiderman movie is rated PG13.

It's not that hard to find other things to do. My boys LOVE to play with their toys and that is because the TV is off most of the day. They also help me with the household chores (they are almost 4 and almost 5). There are lots of days when we dont watch TV at all!
    When they are sick, i DO let them watch TV ALL DAY long. ...but only age appropriate shows. Like Noggin or the cartoons on PBS.
    I am not trying to say that all parents have to be like me. Just trying to show that TV's are NOT a good way to teach your children.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:12 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• i agree.. to each their own with parenting styles. my dd is almost two and i dont have a tv in her room.. i dont plan on putting a tv in her room either. we have one tv in the house.. in the living room. i dont even have a tv in my bedroom.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 2:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My kids have always had a tv in their room, it was not hooked up to cable it was for videos and games only. Honestly they rarely used it until they were older.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• my 3 y/o has one in her room and i'm not a lazy parent, we draw, color and are working on the alphabet, when she is in her room with the tv on, she still plays with her blocks & barbies

she only gets to watch stuff appropriate for her age, not something rated PG13

that being said, do you play with your boys as well or do they entertain each other?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• lol anon 12 I feel your pain, sprout or noggin are on in my house before school every morning.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It won't happen in my home, but I'm not going to tell anyone else they shouldn't do it in their home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Nope, not in my home. their bedrooms are for individual play and quiet time. TV is a family activity and will be watched with supervision, especially as they get older. When I am home and dh is not, the tv is on a music channel and rarely on for 'watching'.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• sometimes i play with my boys and sometimes they entertain each other. Even when i only had one boy, he played by himself if i was busy. Most children will still play if the TV is on and in their room. But it's not helping them create their own ideas and/or personalities. They are still listening and ocassionally stopping to watch what is on the TV. They are going to copy what they see on TV. Which isn't always a bad thing. My boys love to sing YoGabaGaba songs. But at least i know that the majority of whatever it is that they are playing is NOT influenced by the TV and came from their own imaginations.
    And also, i dont appreciate how the commercials tell me children what they want.

Again, i repeat, i think that in MOST cases it is lazy parenting. It all really depends. And every household is different, all children respond to things differently etc etc.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2009