Good works vs. Salvation through Christ?

Do you think that good works is all it takes to enter into heaven, or do you believe in the shed blood of Jesus and salvation through what he did on the cross?

Asked by dove65 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is my belief that no matter how "good" we try to be, we are never clean enough to enter into heaven without the washing of the blood of Jesus Christ. Of course once you are born again and cleansed by his blood, good works is a sign of your rebirth as you grow in the spirit.

Answer by njoynlife at 8:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Well said!

Answer by dove65 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Are we saved through works?
    Ephesians 2:8,9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith . . . not of works."

Galatians 2:16 "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ."

James 2:24 "Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only."
    Matthew 19:16-21 "And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he [Jesus] said unto him . . . keep the commandments. . . . The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven."
    The common defense here is that "we are saved by faith and works." But Paul said "not of works."
    So uhh you try and figure it out. I'm guessing you need both??

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I would like to clear up your confusion 2autisticsmom. You bring up a good point, however don't be confused with the scripture from James 2:24 when you look up the word justified in the greek its dikaioō which means to show, exhibit, evince, one to be righteous, such as he wishes himself to be considered
    3) to declare, pronounce, one to be just, righteous, or such as he ought to be
    So therefore that scripture is just saying works just shows, its evidence of your salvation in Christ.

And... as far as Matthew 19:16-21 goes the rich young ruler was more interested in serving or attaining riches than serving and following Christ. When Christ spoke to him, he knew what was in this man's heart and was bascically saying if you love me, you will sell all and follow me, but he already knew what was in the mans heart. The ruler was bascially asking Jesus to tell him what other good work must I do to enter into heaven, and jesus said sell all and follow me. No

Answer by dove65 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My answer got cut off at now... Now that would be faith if he sold all.

Answer by dove65 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• There are not enough good works that could earn your way into heaven. Just through the man! and his blood!...John3:36. "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever disobeys the Son will not have life, but will remain under God's punishment. You must obey and believe. So it is your works and your faith.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• If it was all about good works then there would of been no reason for Christ to die on the Cross. There would be no need of His blood shed. But because good works cannot clean our sins , He knew that His sacrifice was the only way to blot out our sins. Its only through His blood. We become saved to do good works but we don't depened on the good works to save us but to only bring glory to God. We need to plea His blood because we sin every day.

Answer by MunkyS at 12:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• In my opinion, we are saved by accepted Jesus Christ as our Savior. And if you are saved and have asked forgiveness for your sins then you can enter Heaven. The Bible states that things like good deeds aren't what get you into heaven, they are what gets you "extras" such as crowns. As I read someone else say on a forum I'm on: "Going to Heaven is like going to a concert. Anyone who has a ticket (salvation) can get in. But it's the extras that either put you in the front row (next to Jesus) or the nosebleed section (in heaven, but far from the lap of God)"

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:43 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I definitely believe that it is only by Grace we are saved through the Precious Blood of Jesus!!! :)

Answer by LifeAmbassador at 8:54 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by GRACE are ye saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works lest any man should boast"

I echo what MunkyS said, if salvation were through works then there would be no reason for Jesus to die on the cross!!

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:38 AM on Jun. 24, 2008