Is it amniotic fluid or discharge??

I'm currently 40 weeks pregnant with my 4th baby and have been having definite leakage of some sort on and off for 3 weeks. It seems thicker than I would expect for amniotic fluid at times, but sometimes it's very thin. I know there is supposed to be a definite smell to amniotic fluid, but my water has never broken spontaneously before, so I'm not sure exactly what that smell is.

I've been tested twice in the past 3 weeks for a fluid leak and both times my test has come back negative. But my SIL told me she required THREE tests at the hospital when she was delivering her first baby.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I feel silly continuously calling about this. I had an u/s yesterday and my fluid levels were still good (11.2 AFI), but you know....I just don't want to be leaking and not know it.

fluud7

Asked by fluud7 at 2:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If it smells sweet, it is amniotic fluid.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• when my water started leaking, I thought I was peeing on myself. When I would stand up, my son's head would put pressure on the spot it was leaking and it would stop. But when I would lay down, the fluid would very slowly trickle out. I was weird, but I figured it out within an hour or two that I wasn't just wetting my bed in my sleep.

I think if it were your amniotic fluid, it would be thin, clear and watery. Also when they did the paper test on me it immediately turned blue (I still wasn't absolutely convince it was amnio fluid until my OB tested it, but it was!)

Good Luck!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Well, if you watch yourself, you can wait for spontaneous labor, regardless. I'm saying you can leak/not leak and simply wait. (That would be normal.)
    Did you smell it at birth before? Some women know that smell from delivery.
    When I was leaking it for over a week, it was gushing like peeing on the toilet~ and did not smell like urine.
    Do you feel it gush/trickle from up higher inside you?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• "Well, if you watch yourself, you can wait for spontaneous labor, regardless. I'm saying you can leak/not leak and simply wait. (That would be normal.)
    Do you feel it gush/trickle from up higher inside you?"

I've heard of women leaking it for weeks on end and I know it does replenish itself to some extent, but I also know that the fluid level drops off around full term so I didn't know if that would be cause for concern. I don't recall smelling it before, although I'm sure I have.

It definitely doesn't smell like urine, but my allergies are terrible right now so my nose is a little stuffy and I'm not positive if I would classify it as sweet-smelling either.

fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• When I feel it coming out, it feels a little like a period or ovulation time. I know it's coming from my vagina, I just don't know what it is! Lol.

I've had contractions on and off for weeks, but I know that isn't necessarily related.....

fluud7

• You can get it tested if you want. Personally, I wouldn't bother. ;-)
    Right, the overall amount of fluid can decrease as baby gets larger. And the fluid will be completely replaced every few hours. Always new stuff in there.
    You can ask your SO to sniff it...
    You can watch yourself for signs of infection if you want, take your temperature every few hours and note it down. A fever would be something to watch for.
    Nothing inside the vagina (tampons, intercourse, vaginal exams).
    Drink a LOT of water and increase Vitamin-C and Echinecea if you want to help a bit.

I would guess it's just discharge, but you can continue to watch to see how things go.
    When mine was ruptured it was unmistakable. I should have bought stock in the maxi pad company, I used a LOT!! ;-P
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:51 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I was like that too. I went in a couple times thinking that I was leaking, but it was just discharge. When my water did break, it was very different. It wasn't a gush or anything, but everytime i would stand up, it felt like I was peeing slowly on myself. And ya know, when you are that far along, nothing really shocked me anymore. lol but by the fifth or sixth time I went to sit on the toilet in about 10 min. the light bulb finally went off it my head.
    2punks

Answer by 2punks at 5:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2009