Daughter scared of other children...

Yesterday my almost 2 year old daughter had a class with her grandma. As soon as she got to the class a little boy came up to her. Apparently, she started crying non-stop and had to leave class for about 10 minutes until she was OK to come back. She has done classes before and that's never happened before

This morning we went to the park and a very nice little boy came up to us to say hello. As soon as he did she started crying non-stop and pointing to my car to leave. We had only been at the park for about 15 minutes.

She is not around kids very often. She stays at home with me 2 days a week and her grandparents the other days. Being a young mom, I also don't have any friends with kids...

I'm not sure what I should do. I don't want to force it on her if she is really scared, but at the same time I don't want her to be afraid of other kids.

Any advice? Similar experience?

jklaus

Asked by jklaus at 2:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try finding a playdate for her let her start out with one child then add more, it sounds like she needs more exposure to children. I also noticed you said it had never happened before and both times it was a boy, was there a boy who wasnt so nice to her in the recent past that may have her scared? maybe someone pushed her while playing or said something not so nice? My 5 y/o clearly remembers (and always reminds me about it) a little girl who pushed her down when she was 2 she can tell me where we were what the girl looked like and why the girl pushed her. Kids have long memories so maybe she had a run in with a not so nice little boy.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2009