Are some OTC prenatal vitamins better than others? Is there a particular brand y'all would recommend?

I don't my OB/GYN until October so I was looking for some advice now. I'm only about 3 or 4 weeks along.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i use to take precare premier but my insurance didnt cover it so i had to take the plain old no name ones from the pharmacy honestly they r all the same my doctor told me that a billion times and its true they still have that weird taste and they r still super big...so i would honestly theres not really a difference theres a billion different types i dont think theres a difference in them tho..
    Kri5taa

Answer by Kri5taa at 2:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• i got some at walmart they were okay the doc even said they'd do :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• the ones i take, i like. they are big horse pills tho.
    they are Rainbow Light Prenatal One. they cost about 10-11 bucks for 50 pills, you can get them at rite-aid, walgreen's, whole foods, and probably other places.
    i don't have any issues with them. they don't have a lot of 'crap' in them. i don't get sick with them, i don't burp up anything nasty, they are 100% natural. no artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, preservatives. no sugar, lactose, wheat, gluten or yeast. and they are free of animal products, vegan. gentle on stomach.
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• i also take rainbow light because they are whole food vitamins. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Go to What to Expect when expecting...they have a list of what your prenatal vitamins should have in them. Take that to the store and read the labels. I found the more "popular" name brand ones had less stuff and were more expensive than the off brand which matched the list more and was cheaper. Also note that you may have to try different ones...some make you more queasy, etc. The prescription that my dr. gave me made me vomit more, so that is when I went and bought some OTC. And remember, you need to be taking a folic acid supplement along with your vitamin.
    Gaskinwife

Answer by Gaskinwife at 3:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• ""And remember, you need to be taking a folic acid supplement along with your vitamin. """

prenatal vitamins should already come with enough folic acid in them... it won't hurt to take more because you will just pee it out but why waste the $$$
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2009