how old does your kid have to be to get a military id

my DH and i are fighting
we are getting married next week
and he says our 6 month old DD has to get an military ID
but i think she is to young
am i right or is he???

19bubbles91

Asked by 19bubbles91 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well, I dont see the point in it because her looks are going to change....but if he's the military one, I'd go with him. You'll have to get one anyway so when you go they'll tell you whether she needs one or not.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• you're right. the kid has to be 11 or 12 to have an id. (my father is retired navy my husband is in the navy has been for 8 yrs. it is the same across all branches) we have a 3 1/2 yr old and a 3 mo old no id's for them. the reason being, one you get a new id when the service member re-enlists, if they give id's to little kids than they'd have to get new ones 2 or 3 times a year since they change so often in looks. and second, before that age, they shouldn't be anywhere on base w/o you or another adult that has an id. after that, it is ok as long as they behave and have proper id (for like in stores, playgrounds etc..)(
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• vabchmommy... that's not the case with all branches.
    My son has a military ID card.. and he is 15 months old. He's had one since birth - ever since he was born. The military ID card has NOT changed except for twice, but they do expire like a license. The newest addition being the little chip they added into the card, which they scan and all the information of the card owner is revealed.
    On my son's card, it states his name, civilian, his father's rank, his fathers name, birthdate, etc, etc.
    The ID card is issued out to ALL service members and immediate family members... and it is issued to little children, just in the off chance that a little child may wander away from the parent or guardian, or whomever - which has happened, and you can issue a lost child report. The base then does a lockdown.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I think your husband means DEERS. A child is not normally issued an ID card until he or she is 10. Unless the parent is a single parent active duty member who needs one as part of the Family Care Plan in case of deployment and the child is left with someone who does not have ID card privileges. Or if the child is a dependent and the person with custody is not. I remember my daughter had to get one when I was active duty because I was a single parent at the time.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Okay... so just as a sidenote - just talked to my friend who had her baby in Germany, and she's 4 months old, and she doesn't have an ID card.
    So... it might depend on where you live. :/ I'm confused, and looking into it more.
    But, just to get the best answer, I would call the base - if you know it, and ask them directly.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• 10 yrs old. thats the age. i asked DEERS when i had my kids and thats what i was told
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I don't believe our girls got theirs until they were 10 years old - we're Navy so I don't know if it is different with other branches or bases.
    The only time I know of a child getting one younger, is when their absent parent is in the military and the custodial parent needs to get them healthcare on the military member's insurance. This was the case with my oldest daughter when her bio-father and I divorced. She was 4 years old when she got her ID.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• that is the only time i've heard of a child younger than 10, in any branch, getting an id. if the parents aren't together and the parent w/custody has to have id for the child for insurance purposes.
    now i'm curious as to what branch you are and where you are stationed. b/c i know people in all the branches and have never heard of that.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2009