How much money is my sons school really going to ask for?

We started school at the beginning of August. I was asked to pay toward the PTA and Class room activities at registration. At Orientation I was asked to buy a yearbook and spirit wear. two weeks ago was a skate night and buck's Pizza night followed by a fund raiser. Last week it was money for a field day shirt. This week the book fair an next week is school pictures and Zaxby's night! I know I don't have to do everything and believe me I haven't! Is this going to be like this all year? It seems like a lot to me...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in

• Welcome to the next 12 yrs (minimum) of your life.

Do you see why I find it hysterical when people ask me how I can afford to homeschool?? LOL
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• They do do alot of things, and I think with the economy the way it is, it's even more so because they actually need more money now. What sucks is, the average person doesnt have money to spend all crazy like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Yep... it never ends... they always need more money, which is understandable, but if you don't have it, then don't send it. One parent can only do so much.... don't feel bad if you can't send in money for everything the ask.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• There's always going to be something. I've learned to just tell my kids that we just can't afford to do everything, and we have to pick and choose which things we really want to do. Plus, some stuff is just so ridiculously overpriced, I just tell them that. I remember one year they came home with a cookie sale that they wanted like $13 for a little 8 oz bucket of cookie dough. I just flat out told them that I wasn't going to spend that kind of money.

I do get annoyed with all the things they do. I understand that they need money, but it gets old having a new fundraiser flyer come home every week (or so it seems).
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It *will* always be SOMETHING. We used to participate in many of the fundraisers but in the past two years have become much more selective, since DH is out of work.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• We only pay for what we have to and totally opt out of any fundraising activities, I return that crap the day they bring it home. Don't feel guilty either, next year will roll around and it will start all over again. IMO nobody needs a yearbook until highschool.
    I recently got a note asking for money to pay for the teachers to go to lunch. I laughed so hard I couldn't believe it. I sent the note back with a statement saying " Bologna is 98cents a LB this week at ------- 's Grocery Store".
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:23 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Pick and chose what you want to get. There is NO law that says you have to purchase anything. Yo do NOT have to participate in fundraisers. One of the only fundraisers I participate in is the BOOKFAIR. Books are always good and the books at the bookfair are usually pretty cheap. It is nice to have atleast one shirt with the school name on it, especially for fieldtrips.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• My child goes to private school and he has not gotten that much to purchase. probably the dropout rate is high at that school or I dunno it is kind of too much all at once,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2009