What do you think???

I have my 3 kids in Catholic School. I hear this all the time " private school is just as good as public school, it depends on the child if he/she wants to learn". I feel like my kids are doing very well and I would never think of pulling them out,and sticking them in public school..what are your thoughts..do kids do just as well in public school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well it fully depends on the public & private schools, like in my area I sent the girls to a private school up until this year but I have found out that this school is just as good as the private school. It has its downfalls & perks. However, where my sister lives I wouldn't think about sending my kids to a public school for one second. All this bulls*** about they need to be in the real world & they need to see "things" is just some excuse for people who won't send their kids to private schools for a million reasons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I think it depends on the area and school zone you live in as well as the teachers. I moved to a different school zone because we lived in a very bad area. We got very lucky with the teacher my DD got. We talked about private school, but my husband refused to send our kid to private school. He claimed that when he grew up the kids from private schools where rude, mean and snobby. I have no comment since I did not grow up in this country and there where no such thing as private.
    TwoBrightSuns

Answer by TwoBrightSuns at 4:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It depends on lots of factors. In my area the private schools aren't very good. In fact, several teachers who lost their jobs for poor performance at my public school transferred to local private schools because no other public schools would hire them. On the other hand, I went to a great private school in another state.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I went to Catholic school for 9 years and my education was no different than the public school. It isn't a matter of public vs private having better education, it is the teacher that matters. A lot of private school teachers are there because they couldn't get into a public school system or were let go of a public school position.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• PUBLIC SCHOOLS HAVE MORE PROBLEMS WITH GUNS AND OTHER BAD STUFF. IN PRIVATE SCOOLS HAVE MORE HELP AND THEY ALWAYS KEEP CLOSE EYE ON THE KIDS... SO YOU ARE THE SUPER MOM FOR THAT!
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 5:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• There are so many factors that depend on how well your children do in school. I think the major factor is parental involvement. I hesitated about putting my daughter in public school (and my son next year). But I have been very involved, I am in her classroom as often as possible, at least once a week. I make sure that I know exactly what is going on and supplement her education as we go. She is very bright and quite advanced of a majority of the kids in her class. In her kindergarten class last year, all the kids that could read, were the kids whose parents were in the classroom regularly. As much as I still dislike public school we are playing it by ear how long they stay in, saving our money until it becomes more imperative to us to get them out. So far I just have a first grader and a pre-k child, so it hasn't been too bad yet.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I was a private school teacher. I decided to pull my kids for a number of reasons... First, private school teachers are often under-funded, under paid (I earned half of ps teachers and all of my paycheck went to tuition and supplies for my classroom), and work until often 7 or 8pm just to keep the quality in the classroom. Yes, smaller schools are great and everyone knows your kid. However, the resources, quality of instructors, parent involvement, and programs offered at our public school prompted me to change. I stopped teaching so I could be involved with the school and my kids. I love the admin. I love my kids teachers. And, I love the opportunities they are given in our public school. Before you decide, visit the public and private school. Observe classes and talk to teachers. See what they are given to work with. Ask the hard questions. Happy teachers make for a great learning environment.

mnrsmom900

Answer by mnrsmom900 at 9:29 AM on Sep. 18, 2009