Do 3 or 4 year olds know if they are gay?

I just showed my son a picture with 7 girls and 1 guy and I asked him who the pretty girls were and he said they were all ugly, but he pointed to the guy and said he was pretty. He said he doesn't like girls. I don't know if it's just his age or if he may turn out to be gay. I will support and love him no matter what, I just want to know if it's possible at this age to know that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No. He is too young, don't even give it a second thought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Not to be rude or mean but thats rediculous. A 3-4 year old does not know anything about liking another person, male or female in anyway other than as a friend or family member. You have at least another 10 yrs before you will know if your son likes boys or girls. -_-
    QueenOfNagsHead

Answer by QueenOfNagsHead at 3:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• He wouldn't have a clue whether or not he's gay because he doesnt' understand it yet. But, when I was 5 my gramma ran a daycare out of her house and there was a little boy that was a year younger than me. Everyone knew he was gay back then. And he grew up and came out.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• QueenOfNagsHead: I had my first crush and little "boyfriend" in kindergarten and liked boys ever since, so if I knew at 5 it's not ridiculous to think a 3/4 year old could too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I don't think it is too young for some preferences to start emerging, but I think it would be jumping the gun to assume he's gay already. Just let him grow and be who he is and love him anyway.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I think a child that age cannot know in the sense that you are speaking of, but I DEFINITELY think they are already whatever they will be (Gay vs Straight) I have studied it and seen it and regardless what some people say, some (if not most) homosexuals are born that way. My male cousin was obviously gay from infancy, he alwasy wanted to dress like a girl, dance, put on make-up, play with dolls etc. It was as obvious then as it is now. What you are talking about he is most likely thinking on a friend basis since that is the age weh they usually want to stick to their own sex as playmates. Either way it will be just fine, don't stress it.
    shawneewaiting

Answer by shawneewaiting at 4:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I have been suspicious of my six year old since he was young. That said, he's now discovered Princess Leia's boobs in the bikini on one of the movie covers and suddenly life is about boobs. I think, they relate best to their same sex and that is why they seem to be so close with other boys. Not to say yours is or isn't gay but I believe it's too soon to say.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• At 3 and 4, they are too young to even understand what it means to be gay let alone know if they are or not. Chill, really, it is a toddler being a toddler. Let him be a kid and stop worrying. Also, what would you do IF your child turned out to be gay? Would you stop loving him, disown him, what?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• to tyfry she said she would love him and support him no matter what. Why do ppl get on here and automatically start acting rude??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2009