Can ou give melatonin to a 2 year old?

My 5 year old takes it to sleep. I am a horrible parent and wanted to know if I could give it to both of them before we leave for our 12 hour car ride at 5 am. Not the whole ride just the beginning to get them to go back to sleep until breakfast time at like 8 or so. I know it's awful so I only want to know if she can have it not how bad of a parent I am for asking. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• My 14 year old takes it. He is ADD and has a lot of trouble "turning off" to fall asleep. It's been great. I don't think I would try it on a 2 year old. Ask you doctor. FYI, my son takes 3 mg and it puts him out.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• OP: DS take 2 mg.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I don't get it - what does melatonin do to help your son sleep? My son has always had sleep troubles. what is it supposed to help internally to help them sleep better?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• DO not, I repeat do NOT do it. Throw the crap away. It's dangerous.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Meltonin is naturally produced by the body. some peoples bodies have trouble producing it. My son is 6 and is also on 2 mg. melatonin. He is on the Autism Spectrum and it really does help him. I dunno what age you can start giving it though. BTW Texas. His ped recommended it. I looked it up and it has been recommended many times by doctors...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't do it unless a dr says to do it

Answer by admckenzie at 4:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I don't think anon :49 knows what Melatonin is. Not being rude, just saying, its probably the safest, most effective sleep aid that has virtually no side effects. I use it and love it. Usually after about a month I don't even need it anymore. Then in a few months i take it for a month again. No crazy "hangover" like you get with other otc sleep meds. idk about giving it to a 2 year old just so he will sleep through a car trip. Sounds a bit irresponsible, imo. I don't think you're a bad parent, either. I've thought of stuff like that, then thought again. You should ask your pedi and see what he says.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Melatonin is a hormone produced in the pineal gland, a small gland in the brain, that helps regulate sleep and wake cycles. Your body has its own internal clock that normally regulates your sleep cycle in part by controlling the production of melatonin. Normally, melatonin levels begin to rise in the evening and stay high for most of the night then they begin to decline in the early morning. It can also be found in foods like meats (especially turkey), grains and fruits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• OP:: I don't want to give it to them the whole damn trip just once before we head out. I'll ask the ped tomorrow when we get their flu shots...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I am uncomfortable with giving hormones to a toddler. Have you tried chamomile tea?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2009