Should my child have had a 5year check up?

Our Pediatrician moved from down the street to a "Clinic". No appointments. Nothing! I couldn't handle that. We are insured and we want appointments. Anyhow, so I moved my boys to a family practioner. They don't see many kids and said my boys did not need a 5 yr or 7yr check up unless they need shots. No shots needed, so no check ups. Then a friend took her daughter to her Ped. for her 5yr check up and she got her ears and eyes checked. I have never used a FP for my boys before, should I find a new Pediatrician?? Does he need a 5y check up..... I am so confused. My 7yo was still seeing the other Dr at 5 yrs.

eluc

Asked by eluc at 3:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids get a well-child check-up every year. It may not be "required", but they are just like everybody else and they need a check-up every year. Maybe ask your new doctor about an annual well-child exam not for a specific age, just annual physical. My son also had his ears and eyes checked when he went in (except they did it at 6) so it is definitely something to ask about.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 4:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Children need yearly checkups and I would demand one. That is how things are caught and how growth and development is tracked. If they still won't schedule one, FIND A NEW PEDIATRICIAN.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Thanks for the reminder! I need to schedule my son's 5 year old check up. He doesn't need shots or anything but it is always good to go to make sure his development is on track or to see if there is anything that if caught early, can be prevented. Better safe, than sorry.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• YES MOM
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My kids don't see a doctor unless they're sick for several days.

It's your call.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I stopped taking my kids to the doctor for annual check ups once they had all of their shots. Of course they still end up at the doctor throughout the year, if I have any other concerns I share them with the doctor at that point. BTW, I use a family practitioner. I like him WAAAAY better than the pediatrician in our town. When I registered my daughter for kindergarten was the last time that I took her for a "check-up". The nurse at the school does random eye and hearing checks on the kids and I will take them for an eye appt. soon because I wore glasses by the time I was 8. They have eagle eye vision right now though, they see tiny things at incredible distances that I have issues seeing. I'm always amazed at how far they can see. Anyways, it's your call, I don't think it's necessary. My friends pediatrician says "every other year" once they start school.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:09 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I only take my dd if she is sick or needs shots. Sometimes she goes 18 months with out seeing her dr.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:17 PM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Thanks for your input!!
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 5:15 PM on Sep. 18, 2009