For those of you who homeschool I have a question

I have heard all of the pros. In your opinion what is the biggest con of homeschooling. Not a con for you, but for you child. I don't want people to bash. I just want to know from someone who is homeschooling their child what is a draw back about it for their child. It doesn't mean you don't like it. But there are pros and cons to everything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• We just started HS at age 12 for ds. He has 10 friends from public school and in the neighborhood. My ds misses lunch and PE. Also have to try and answer questions from friends and family who do not really "get" what homeschool is about.The pros definitely outweigh the cons!
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I homeschooled both of my 2 younger boys. The youngest just graduated from high school. I think it was the best thing I ever did. I do think there are definitely some drawbacks. One of them is that public schools offer teachers that may have education in areas that I don't. They can also supply options that I can't supply at home, computer labs with equipment beyond what we have, science labs with supplies I can't get and probably wouldn't know how to use. Opportunities for certain programs and enrichment activities that I might not be able to supply.

That being said, the pros outweighed the cons for us. Both of my sons are in college, highly social, and although they're not perfect, they're pretty great kids and I'm proud of them.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• For our family only homeschool my kids before they are ready to enter kindergarten, I think the first and important con is DH thinks our kids need to be explosed to different way of learning like sitting with a group of people and learning to get along and work with others. It will help them to have better EQs.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 3:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• This is our first year of homeschooling, my oldest is 5.

The only drawback for him is not getting a break from me.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:09 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• We homeschool our three children. I cannot name any cons to homeschooling, not for us and not for them. they have plenty of friends, in school and out, they also take classes to get that classroom setting (so that they can mind another adult besides myself and my husband). Nope, no cons here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• From my kids' perspectives? LOL

Well -- they can't copy off of others' papers, can't slouch down in the seat at the back of the class praying not to be called on, can't just "skim by", can't use the excuse of "I forgot" or "my dog ate it" LOL

Beyond that -- nothing. They have just as many friends as they would in public school, they can learn at their own pace & persue their interests, they can take co-op classes for science labs or higher math, etc.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I have been homeschooling for 8 years. The biggest con is getting my self to doctor appts.
    This is the first year i can go to appts child free, My oldest is 12 and locally it is ok for a 12 year old to babysit younger siblings for short periods of time.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2009