Can a school realistically enforce a nut ban? Are the teachers going to inspect each and every lunch that the kids tote to school? Will they come up with special screening equipment similar to what is found in airports, to detect lunches with nuts? Will the school enlist the help of drug-sniffing dogs to sniff out peanut butter sandwiches?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think the ban is silly, unrealistic, a constitutional violation and irresponsible.

There are a zillion different allergies out there, all with serious reactions for some. You can't cherry pick which ones to ban. I had severe wheat allergies as a kid, did our school take out all the bread? Of course not.

My parents did the RESPONSIBLE thing. They taught me to only eat what was in my own lunch box. They taught me to be RESPONSIBLE for myself. I never once had a problem at school because I ate my own lunch! Surely even a 5 or 6 year old is smart enough to learn that and surely it would be easier to police 1 or 2 children than the whole population.

Some kids, espececially those with autism spectrum disorders will only eat certain foods. Are you going to tell the ASD first grader he can't have the only food he will eat for lunch because a fifth grader might get a bite of his sandwich? No.

SILLY!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• lol the drug sniffing dogs killed me! .. im going to have my dog get trained to be a peanut sniffing dog!! =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Thats not our problem though! Our kids shouldnt suffer
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Hey, I think I just found my niche in life, I am gonna teach dogs to be BP sniffers. Must use yellow labs too... so they blend in.
    Seriously though, I have a feeling it will mostly be on the honor system. If someone is caught repetitively bringing them they will probably make the parents life harder by making the kid go to another school in the district or some such.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:12 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Your post was funny, I'll give you that. But if your child had a life-threatening severe nut allergy you might be more compassionate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• So going without nuts and peanut butter is "suffering" Really? Get a life! They could die!!!
    Anonymous

• I would not mind finding other alternatives to my son's lunch if it meant protecting other children in his school. I suspect that a school would just hope that parents would be mature about it and not try to "sneak" in any nuts in the first place.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 4:12 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• And if it was your kid-you'd want the SAME THING!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• send your PA kids to another school,home school, something! why punch handfuls upon handfuls of kids bc of maybe 1 or 2?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

Your kid's PB and J is really worth someone else's kid dying? Serve it at home they won't ever know they are missing out!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2009