Just need a little vent.

So I was sitting in Starbucks today with my five and a half week old DD while my DS was at his playgroup.
I was by myself, minding my own business, just hanging out with my baby.
Two men were sitting at a table beside me and one asked how old DD was, so I told him. Nothing wrong with that.
Then I make up a bottle for DD and start to feed her. One of the men pipes up with "That bottle you've got there, it just had water in it before. How did you get milk in it?"
So I said "It's formula."
And he replies "Oh...well I wont say anything more about that."

WTF??? What a dick!!!

First of all, I would exclusively BF if I could, not that my reasons behind FF are any of his business, but he just assumed that it was a choice I made and sat there judging me.
Not only judging but vocalizing his judgment loud enough for me to hear it.
Talk about rude.

Laila-May

Asked by Laila-May at 4:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• He can suck it man.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Sounds like the stupid jerk was trying to come on to you - however much an idiot approach he may have been taking - sounds like he was trying to elude to the idea that you somehow got the milk from your boob - whata jackass. I think men who don't know us would prefer that we BF so that they can get a chance at a free look - he might feel differently if it were his wife or sister being talked to like that in public - but then again he may be a total jackass all the way every day in every way - forget about him - he's stupid.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I don't think his comment had anything to do with you not breastfeeding. He was just being an idiot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• He was being rude, and not minding his own business, sounds like he was just a jerk.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• idk, to me he just sounds clueless.....maybe he has no idea what formula is and had to go home and ask his mom/sister......and he didnt say anymore bc he didnt want to sound dumb since he didnt know lol......i say think of it that way :-p
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Ah, but it was the tone when he said "I wont' say anymore about that." I wish y'all could have heard it. Just so smug and 'matter of fact'.
    I don't normally get worked up about things like this. I've gotten judging looks from people before while bottle feeding.
    I had to FF my DS as well for the same reasons but no one ever thinks that there might be some other reason behind it other than laziness or selfishness.
    I think it pissed me off even more because he's a man. Lol!
    A man who has never been pregnant, who has never had to try and fail at BF, who hasn't had to have all of the "breast is best" comments and looks from strangers, who hasn't had to feel like a total failure or a terrible parent for not being able to provide for your child the way society sees best...

All I know is he's lucky my DH wasn't there. Ha ha ha!

Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Men have no idea about nursing or whatever. I nursed exclusively for a year for each of my children. My husband automatically assumes that if I can do it, anybody else should be able to also. Out of the two of us, he tends to be the more judgmental about that kind of thing and I just have to tell him to get over it. Because, for one thing, he never had any idea about nursing or otherwise until after I did it with our first.
    Anyway! I wouldn't stress about some man's opinion. You just do what you do and ignore the haters. I am so beyond what any MAN thinks about how I nurse or NOT nurse my child. If you would have popped your breast out and fed your baby right there, he probably would have had something to say about THAT too.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Exactly!
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 5:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I am sure he has a wife and family who has no clue that its not always a choice and they are completely one sided like some women on here too are when it comes to people formula feeding their babies -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I would have asked you if it was a domestic adoption.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2009