Does the BC pill make you gain weight and have facial hair?

I have been on birth control for about 9 years now. I've always been a little overweight, but now I'm extremely overweight and I'm getting these coarse hairs under my chin that I have to pluck.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Health

• Excessive facial hair in women almost always involves the male hormone testosterone. "Sometimes the testosterone level is normal but the hair follicles are more sensitive to it," explains Geoffrey Redmond, M.D., director of The Hormone Center of New York. This heightened sensitivity can run in families. But in some cases, the testosterone level is too high: One of the most common causes of excess hair is polycystic ovary syndrome, a hormonal and metabolic disorder that can cause excess facial and body hair, weight gain, irregular periods, fertility problems and acne. (Excess facial hair can also occur during perimenopause and menopause as estrogen levels gradually diminish.)
    njoynlife

Answer by njoynlife at 8:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• that is totally possible... it's hormones... i hate the pill
    katiesmom123

Answer by katiesmom123 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• It's possible, but I think you should talk to your gynecologist. You may have a hormonal imbalance and he/she may want to do bloodwork.
    nell_brinkley

Answer by nell_brinkley at 8:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• research into PCOS. I have facial hair & have a hard time losing weight. and alot of the other symptoms. now i just need to go to the dr. and get whatever test need to be done to find out whats going on.. this crap is getting old...
    Anonymous

• You really need to research PCOS. I think you just might have it!
    godsgirl746

Answer by godsgirl746 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2009