for military moms

Do you take your children to FRG meetings? There were a ton of kids at mine last night even though childcare is provided and children attending is discouraged (they don't flat out tell you not to bring them, but every meeting has childcare so that you don't have to). At what age do you think it would be inappropriate to bring your children to meetings like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i don't go to the frg meetings, b/c we don't have one. our ship only has 30 guys on it. there are only 2 meetings that they have for the families, the pre-deployment (strongly recommended that the wife attend) and post deployment also strongly recommended that wife attend. so yes we take our kids, but so does everyone else, b/c everyone they know is there. normally the kids just sit in the back and play.
    if it was before when we were on a bigger ship, i probably still would have taken my children to the meetings if i didn't know anyone who could watch them. regardless of childcare provided, if i don't know the person i'm not leaving my kid with them. and really the older they get the more easier they are to entertain. the problem age would be toddler to kindergarten b/c they don't want to sit still. but for my dd we just take some crayons, coloring books, book and a small toy or two in her little backpack & she plays quietly
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• FRG mettings are for the spouses not the kids. Leave the kids home with your spouse or put them in daycare.

Answer by louise2 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Leaving the kids with the spouse it not always an option. My husband was either deployed, in the field training, or had CQ when we had FRG meetings. When he was home then it was "mandatory" that he went to the FRG meetings. Although, I did not care for certain wives who ran the FRG, they did make sure that there was always someone there to watch the kids in the room beside the meeting. Most moms with babies though, kept the babies with them during the meeting. If they became fussy then they would step outside. The actual meetings were only about 20-30 minutes long then we had a potluck dinner or an activity for the kids. Our FRG was very child friendly.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Yes, I've brought my children with me to FRG meetings.

At our last duty station, they had childcare provided in the same building most of the time, but some people's kids didn't want to go, so they stayed in with us. It's really not a big deal when there are only 4 people attending the meeting.

In circumstances where they need your FULL attention, like pre deployment stuff, then we always put our children in childcare.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I will add that in the emails or phone calls about the FRG meeting, they specified if children were welcome... or not.

For example, a regular, monthly meeting that is being held at the unit and we're having a potluck, chldren are welcome. But a pre or post deployment brief or something else really important they specify that there are no children allowed.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2009