What are most 5-6 year olds experiencing with their "privates"?

Masturbating? Looking/ touching friends privates? Erections? Please HELP!

sarahbowers

Asked by sarahbowers at 4:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think random erections are totally normal. So is masturbation but if they are looking and touching friends that needs to nipped in the bud. They need to learn that those are private aprts not be shared with their friends. Also, I think teaching them that if they do touch themselves they do it in private in their own room.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 4:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• They figure out that if they play with it, it grows. They should NOT be sharing body parts with their friends, that is not ok. They do need to know that it is ok to touch themselves but it should be done in private. Don't freak out, it is normal and developmentally appropriate.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Thank you both for your answers. I just thought that it was much later in life that they discovered themselves. Thanks again!
    sarahbowers

Answer by sarahbowers at 5:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2009