can babies sleep on their belly from when they are born? i heard it causes sids and colapses their ribs

j.b7

Asked by j.b7 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ok my babie was able to roll by two months so thats ok?
    j.b7

Answer by j.b7 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It raises the risk of SIDS but now laying on the tummy wont collapse the ribs
    faithfulmomof1

Answer by faithfulmomof1 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It is not recommended that an infant be placed on their tummy to sleep as this can cause SIDS. A child should be placed on his/her back to sleep and when the child is capable of rolling to his/her tummy then it is okay for them to sleep on their belly. But you should always put a child to sleep on their back.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 4:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Babies who sleep on their bellies are more likely to die from SIDS but nobody knows why or what causes it.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 4:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• ok well thats what i was told and my babie refuses to sleep on the back or the sides and likes to roll
    j.b7

Answer by j.b7 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• That has been a controversial subjects for decades. However, a lot of mothers allow belly sleeping from birth. I personally don't agree that SIDS is an actual diagnosis, as there is always a reason for anyone dying. The only reasoning that I've heard/read behind not allowing your child to belly sleep is SIDS. However, like I said, a lot of mothers do allow belly sleeping regardless of the risk. It is your personal choice. If you're comfortable with it, then you have full right to make that choice. I only recommend the infant sleeping on their belly due to the suffocation risk. An infant, before they're able to have full mobility of their head, can easily turn their head to a position they ca't get out of. I would suggest back/side sleeping until the infant has full mobility of their head.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• One of the reasons they think tummy sleeping might increase the risk of SIDS is that the air doesn't circulate well by their face, so they end up rebreathing what they've just breathed out and end up not getting enough O2 and too much CO2. That's why you shouldn't put a lot of stuffed animals or blankets around them or why bumpers are not recommended. Tummy sleeping will not collapse their ribs, you should still do tummy time during the day. Once baby can roll and move their heads well the risk goes down too. Put them to sleep on their back, but if they roll, you can't spend all night rolling them back.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• oh yeah she has full mobility of her head
    j.b7

Answer by j.b7 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• my BABY not babie
    anarosenewman

Answer by anarosenewman at 5:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• troll alert?
    j.b7

Answer by j.b7 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2009