my son is out of control

hey gals, im really at my wits end here, i have an almost 3 yr old who dosent listen, yells at me, refuses to take naps and climbs out of his crib. I am tierd of hollering at him there has got to be a better way to get him to listen....what do i do???
frustrated and tierd
ps...any tips for getting him to poop in the potty?

o2cute

Asked by o2cute at 4:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I feel silly saying that I was so desperate w/ my son I took tips from Super Nanny Jo and the book The Happiest Toddler on the Block. But, at your son's age, I would just be strict about time outs and when he wanders away from time out you put him back in, even if it takes twenty tries. You just can't give in ever or they know they can manipulate you. It's their job to try to do so and keeping as cool a head as possible is essential. Also the half years are always tough. You might find as he's closer to three it'll improve or closer to four.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Children learn what they live and hollering at him isn't making him any less out of control. You need to control yourself before you can get him to listen. Try speaking in a quiet voice, that throws kids off and they want to know what you said. Also, when you want him to do something, use YOUR manners so he can learn some. "Johnny, will you please help Mommy clean up, I'd really like that" You will be surprised how far a little niceness will get you. At this age, he is only out of control because you have allowed him to be. Get a grip on him now before he ends up going down a road you don't want to see him on. I raised 5 children who are now 20, 18, 17, 17, and 9 so I do know what I'm talking about. Good Luck and God Bless!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 4:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Almost-three-year-olds are stubborn little creatures. I have one of my own with a particularly large stubborn streak! (His dad and I are both stubborn people, it's only natural he is too! lol!) I've learned that positive reinforcement is the best way to handle him. Yelling, time outs, spankings etc only make him more defiant, i've noticed. But if we ignore the naughty things he does (unless it's dangerous of course) and praise praise praise the good things, he tends to be more cooperative.

At this age, they are taking ALL their cues from us as parents. They are learning how to act from us. So if we yell and spank when we're angry at them, they will yell and hit when they are angry at us too. That's just what they've learned.

Like others have already said, consistency and persistence and TONS of patience is the best way to deal with them. Easier said than done though, i know!!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 5:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• well just so the ladies who answered my blogs know i do use time out and most of the time ( i am not perfect) i dont yell. but latley he just dosent seem to care you know? And miss manners lady ill have u know we always use manners in this house. my son says please thank you and all of the above with no prompting requierd. Just some days he turns into a stubborn little thing and its becoming harder to handle for me.
    o2cute

Answer by o2cute at 6:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I totally know how you feel. Our son just turned 3 and some days are better than others. He's usually a really good kid, but when he has his moments he really has his moments! What I do is tell him that it makes me sad when he misbehaves or does something naughty, and then he usually replies with "I don't want you to be sad" and I say "then please be a good boy so we can both be happy" and that usually works...but the times it doesn't work, I'm like you. He does go to time out until he can come out by himself and apologize! Good Luck!
    meganmaughan

Answer by meganmaughan at 6:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Look in your library for a book called 1-2-3 Magic. It came highly recommended to me by a friend when I was having issues with my son and it really worked well for us. I also use a timer for time out, one that ticks so my kids know that as long as it is ticking they are in time out and when it buzzes they are done. Timeouts became a lot more effective when I started using the timer with my son, in fact when I put him in timeout and pick up the timer he says "no, not the timer" because it is more "real" to him with it ticking. Also always have him apologize to you when he's done with his time out and then take the time to explain to him what was wrong with what he did. Good luck!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I'll be short and too the point! Buy the supernanny book. I'm not kidding it's worth every penny and then some! Completely changed my house in a couple days!
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:35 AM on Sep. 18, 2009