How will my one year old handle the new baby?

My daughter is 13 months and we are expecting another girl in four months. My daughter is already showing signs of not wanting to share with other children. What can I do to help her adapt to the new baby? Is this behaviour normal?

mommytonoelani

Asked by mommytonoelani at 4:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• o big time normal. at this age kids are still very selfish....not bad its just thats all they know is how to keep themselves happy. just let her be as involved as possible. maybe she can help with a sponge bath, or if you choose hold the bottle, show her how to kiss baby (prob not hug, that could get a lil rough at first). she'll get used to the baby around, and as long as she doesnt feel left out the transition will be easier.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• my daughter was 14 months when my son was born and she loved him and was never jealous. of course she didnt know how to share with other kids and the usual. my kids are 5 and 4 now, they do fight just like you would expect but if you let her give kisses, get you diapers or wipes or just easy stuff she may take to it easier. she is still real young so once the baby comes and you come home you just need to always show her how to treat the baby and what not to do.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 6:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I will be experiencing the same thing in a four months, but my son is a little bit older. He is 27 months. My husband and I have been talking with him about the baby. He knows that he is having a little sister and that she is in my belly. Not sure if telling him all this is going to work, but we thought to give it a try. At this point he seems okay with the idea, but that doesn't mean he will when she is here. He also goes to a babysitter everyday so he does interact with other kids and has to share there. Time will tell!
    Orangetwistie

Answer by Orangetwistie at 6:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2009