Sex after episiotomy

Is it normal for sex to still be painful 3 months after episiotomy? My husband seems to think it shouldn't hurt by now. And is it normal to lose the "loving feeling" for your husband after having a baby??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• i would go to the doctor, i have never experienced it, my first daughter is due on wednesday, but you should be better by 6-10 weeks, so i say go to the doctor.
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• go to your dr to be safe, mine hurt after my 3rd but it was slow healing for some reason...my dr told me to wait a bit longer
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 5:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Mine hurt for the entire first year when we had sex. But I have VERY sensitive skin so maybe that is why. I had to be really turned on before we started or we couldn't finish. Doggie style was a no no for that year.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I had a bad tear with my daughter and it hurt for that long. Or rather, it was uncomfortable in the beginning and not as pleasurable. My midwife said it's normal. Try using more lubrication, taking longer with foreplay and being on top to control the depth and speed of penetration.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• yes, it is normal. I was sore for about 3 months after my episiotomy. I had a friend who even after a year, it was still painful to have sex. Some people just heal differently.

And yes, it is also normal to loose that feeling for your husband after having a baby. Your entire world now revolves around that baby, which doesn't leave much room for anything else. I'm sure it will return in time.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Totally normal. You've slit that area, it's thin tissue and to expect it to be bouncy fast isn't realistic. Mine hurt for at least six months and to this day, I'm careful down there w/ sex!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2009