is it ok to put a 1 year old to bed and let them cry therselves to sleep?

ok so my 1 year old daughter is not wanting to go to bed till 10 or 11 at night. So the other night i put her in the bed and let her lay there and cry till she fell asleep. If she dosent go to bed at a decent hour IE 9, then neither of us will get any rest because i have school/work in the morning and she has to go to the babysitter

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nothing wrong with it. She'll adapt to the new bedtime. Just be consistant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• If she is in her own room have a night light and something that has a timer and plays music.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• People have many views on "letting baby cry it out"
    I, however, do it. I make sure he's comfortable, fed, clean, and... if he's still fussy, I just let him cry.
    Well, okay, i used to do that, he's now okay with bedtime, and slips right into Slumberland without a fuss. He's 15 months old now.
    I agree with anon01. Be consistent.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• that is what i did.. when we bought our new house and JB just wouldnt go to sleep.. he is 1 now (5m then) and even know i do it.. they need there sleep..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 5:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• its the only thing that gets my lil guy to sleep, other than letting him have a bottle to fall asleep......which i'm doing less and less of, esp with teeth now. give it a few nights, it'll get better.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Completely agree. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing.
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• my dd is 9 months old and i let her cry it out and she only lasts like 5-10 minutes before zzzzzzz hits your the mama you know she is tired
    anarosenewman

Answer by anarosenewman at 5:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I did CIO with success as well. Mind you, I didn't let it go on for hours. The first few nights were like forty minutes and then twenty and then magically nothing. I was always just outside his door to make sure he was safe. He is still my best sleeper. People think it's mean but it was effective for us.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:06 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I HAD to do cry it out for my son- no other methods worked for it - in fact during the times I tried the comforting and soothing him and rubbing his back and rocking and talking and not talking and he was up for 3 days straight - it was ridiculous - CIO is truly the only thing that STILL Works for him at 22 months - I started it at 8 months old.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I have a few questions before I just go and say it is ok (I don't belive in CIO), how much sleep is the baby getting during the day... to much sleep will make it difficult for the baby to sleep no matter which method you use. Have you tried rocking and then placing him down....even if it means a little fussing once you do. Do you have a good established routine...nothing else will matter if you don't.

The problem that I have with CIO, is that it isn't a one shot deal and they just start sleeping on thier own. It is something that will be done multiple times over the years as the baby reach's new milestone, teething and illness's etc,... I understand the need to get them down. But there are sometimes ways that are less upsetting to the baby.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009