Would you take your baby on a bus?

The wind farm near us is having an open house this weekend. My husband is kind of expected to go, since he is in the first class of the brand new wind tech program at the local college. Our 2-year-old LOVES the wind turbines and if he goes, he can go inside one (the tower only, not up to the top, haha). The problem is that there is no parking at the site itself. Everyone is supposed to go to another location and get shuttled there by bus. I'm already a little nervous about taking the 2yo on a school bus, but I really don't want to take my 7 month-old. We no longer have his infant seat (he outgrew it) and buses don't have anywhere to fasten anyway. I really want to go, though. I'd leave him with a sitter, but he hasn't been away from me very much, and since we'd be at the mercy of the shuttle schedule, I couldn't just go home if he needed me. What would you do?

heydooney

Asked by heydooney at 5:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Travel

• We have taken Disney buses and airport shuttle buses with toddlers and babies many times. The toddlers are just as fascinated by riding on the bus as they are by the destination (in my sons case MORE fascinated by the bus). Most school buses don't have seat belts on them either yet most parents in this country put their kids on a school bus every morning and afternoon. If you have one of those baby carrier thingies that you strap the baby to you (why can't I think of the name of things when I need them?), I would use that for the baby during your trip to the wind turbines. but like a previous poster said, on the bus the baby is on your lap and the toddler in the seat next to you.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I would go. We traveled to Disney world when our middle child was 5months. We had to go on buses the entire week. I wouldn't worry, the risk of accidents are probably really low.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Yes, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I started taking my daughter on public transit when she was about 4 weeks old.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• umm what is the problem? one sits in the seat and one on your lap! if it's your day then it's your day ameasly plastic with some foam seat will barely make a difference...
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 8:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• and how are you going to lug a car seat aroind all day?
    mirit.rose

• Thanks everyone, I guess since I live in a small town, I didn't think about public transportation. I know school buses have to have high padded seat backs to "contain" the kids in a crash, but I don't like the idea of my kids not being strapped in. It's only a short ride, though. I will be putting Baby in the wrap for the ride and the tour.
    heydooney

Answer by heydooney at 1:58 PM on Sep. 18, 2009