Can you afford your pet?

Does it seem like owning a pet is very expensive these days? Whenever we're at the vet, we never leave w/o at least a $180 or $300 bill. My cat is sensitive so she needs to be gassed to perform health exams, declaw was about 350, a new license (indoor cat) was around 100 and the vet put her on prescrip food that I can only buy if she's totally updated on everything even though she's ten and never leaves my bedroom. It's thirty bucks a month. I want proper care for my pet but this is ridiculous.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Pets

• you can find vets that are cheaper or check with you before they do expensive things. I used to use a vet who really is the best vet in the area, but they would do stuff then expect us to pay for it without checking with us first. Sent our cat in to have a urine test done because apparently my word that the cat had blood in his pee, meaning a bladder infection, wasn't good enough. Came back 4 hours later to pick him up, and wasn't ALLOWED to, they had him on an IV, and were running blood tests, Gee, could you have called me first? None of it was life threatening that they would HAVE to do it before they called me. Now my vet will treat, but calls me before major steps are taken unless its life threatening.
    If you need a perspiration for food, have them write it and go online with it, it can be MUCH cheaper online for that sort of thing. Also, some pet stores will special order it for you.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 5:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Yes, we can.
    One of our dogs has constant ear infections - drives me crazy... so I know what you're talking about crazy vet bills. However, we have pet insurance on both our pets, so the cost is relatively easier to deal with.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• yep i can afford my pet otherwise i wouldn't have him. petco does make pet insurance.. its only 15 a month per pet just an fyi i have a shihtzu and i have to groom him every other month i own my place so no fees there only time he cost alot.. was when he got attacked by a huskey/wolf mix that was 1200 bucks for surgery otherwise nope hes great :)
    anarosenewman

Answer by anarosenewman at 5:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I have a 15 year old Chihuahua. I can not count how much it has coasted us to bring him to the vet. He will be my last pet for a while or ever. I do not want the financial responsibility for a pet after he is gone to pet heaven.

Answer by louise2 at 5:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Yeah, that's a little nuts...Our only costs for our dogs is their food. I get Black Gold for my border collie because i got the only collie in the world with a sensitive stomach. The hound just gets whatever is cheapest. But even that only costs me $40 a month, tops. The only other costs we have for the dogs is worming and rabies shots. And that's not much at all...We dont have to license either because we're not in city limits.

Even when we have horses it costs less than your cat!!!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 5:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It really sounds like you need to find another vet or find some home remedies or recipes online you can try. Needing a prescription for food is crazy!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 5:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Yep! They are expensive. Ours have severe allergies since we moved to Hawaii (the move was crazy expensive too $80 per dog for bloodwork to avoid quarantine and $120 each for the flight out here). One of my dogs just had an infection on her foot and we've spent $370 on that so far. We go through about 30 pounds of dog food each week, plus add in the costs of regular shots, vet visits, heartworm and flea prevention....on and on....Pets are expensive, but we did a lot of research and planning before we got them. We knew that they would need a lot of time and money and we are prepared to do whatever we need to in order to keep them happy and healthy.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 5:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I'm glad they charged you that much for the declawing. That is torture.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I know exactly what you mean. I drive 30 minutes to take my dogs to an more affordable vet, I end up paying a third of what the vet closest to us charges.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• We always spend a lot at the vet, but that is because we have two dogs who get shots every year and we buy all of there heartworm preventative at the same time. Our collie mix only takes one pill a month for the heartworm preventative, but because our Great Dane is sooo large he takes two. If we couldnt afford them we wouldnt have them, but we make our budget out to include their expenses in it just like we would diapers for a baby. And as far as spending lots on food, we buy high quality food for both, and with a Great Dane in the house we spend almost as much on dog food a month as we do people food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2009