Problems with nap time

My daughter is 14 months old. She goes to bed just fine at night. I rock her for about 10 minutes, and then lay her down while she is still awake and she falls asleep by herself. But, when it comes to naps, she wont do it. I have to rock her until she is completely asleep, and then somehow manage to lay her down without waking her up. If she wakes up when I lay her down, she starts screaming, and will continue to scream until I rock her again and do it all over again. This can take an hour or more at every nap. Any ideas on how to get her to nap like she goes to bed at night?

Chickpeas

Asked by Chickpeas at 5:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try weaning her off the rocking a bit at a time and replace that time with quietly singing to her while she is laying in her bed.

Like, day one, rock her a half hour and then tell her you are going to sing to her in her bed...sing until she falls asleep.

On the next day, rock her 25 minutes and sing

Next day 20 minute rocking and singing...

My son lays down completely awake and within three songs he has heard over and over, he gets sleepy. I whisper the last few songs and by then he's so tired he falls asleep after I leave the room.

Start of putting him down for a nap until I walk out of the room is about 15 minutes.

The rocking has to go.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 5:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• well, I found with my son, the more I'd try to comfort him like this, the harder it got for him to put himself to sleep - I lessened the comforting/rocking time and let him cry himself to sleep. He still has to do this at 22 months, except now we read books and I lay him down
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2009