If I use spermicide do I stil need to use condoms?

I know that the condom would be like extra sure to not get pregnant. I just hate them. I bought the spermicide and it says it works just as well as other birth controls. How effective is spermicide? Is it like 99% effective like pills, 98, 85.... how good is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If you use the spermicide correctly it is not necessary to use the condom too. Although, as you already mentioned, it would be "extra" to stop you from getting pregnant.
    I am not sure the statistical number of it's effectiveness, but i think it would depend on the brand and what type of spermicide it is and if you use it correctly or not.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Spermicide is really not very effective against pregnancy, especially if you've had a child before. With perfect use it is about 70% effective and with typical use it's only 60% effective.

Whether to use condoms in conjunction with the spermicide is up to you, depending on how badly you want to avoid pregnancy.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I got the ones that are like the yeast infection things, like a smooshy pill or compressed cream.... hmmm kind of like a suppository. Is that the good one? or should I get a different kind?

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• The suppositories are a little less effective than creams or jellies.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Why?

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• my ex and i used those spermicide insertable injectable things without condoms for years and years and I never got pregnant.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 5:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• its like a tampon applicator filled with spermicide jelly but i was really reallly young and had no children. if that makes a difference?
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 5:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• idk, i tried them and the warming sensation that the spermicide creates naturally weirds dh out so we couldnt' use it anymore. i had the little inserts, too, the gelcaps or whatever.
    good luck.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 7:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I was using just a spermicide when I got pregnant with my DS. YES use a condom too!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009