What time do you put your kids to bed at night?

My five yr old son has been falling asleep in school. He also falls alseep on the bus on the way home from school. We try to have him in bed every night by 7:30. My olderst (7) goes to bed by 8 and my youngerest (3). When I mentioned this to a couple of friends, one said he may be getting too much sleep. Another said that I was putting him to bed WAY to earlier and joking (very jokingly in a friendly way) told me i was being a "mean" mommy for putting my kids to be so earlier. I know that when I was my oldest dd's age, I went to bed the same time. So when do your kids go to bed?

ArmyWifeMomof3

Asked by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My DS is in bed by 8pm. We start bath and night routine around 7h20 pm.
    lesjoiesdemaman

Answer by lesjoiesdemaman at 5:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• LES IS RIGHT BUT GIVE BATH AT LIKE 8:30 AND HE WILL BE SLEEP BY 9:00.. BUT IF HE STILL IS SLEAPY IN SCHOOL THAN CHECK ON HIM AT NIGHT,CAUSE HE MAY NOT BE SLEEPING...
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I put my ds (7) and sd(7) to bed by 8:30 and they're usually asleep by 9 or so.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 5:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I should say that they GO to bed at seven thrity... we read for 15 minutes and then he may be awake for a little while after that... most often he is sill awake when my oldest goes to bed. there are days he ASKS to go to bed...
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 5:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• DS (7) is in bed with the lights off by 8:30 pm and gets up at 6:30 am
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 6:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My four and five year old are in bed by 8 sharp.....they wake up at 6...and they take a 45 min nap...kids this age need about 12 hours of sleep....but my kids are also very active...we do school, ballet, cheer, and girl scouts...so our days are busy.....if he is falling asleep he needs more sleep....
    abbyg

Answer by abbyg at 7:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My 6 yr old is in bed by 7:30, and asleep by 7:35, she doesn't even hear her alarm go off in the morning at 7:30 for school. I would monitor their sleeping patterns on the weekends, track their sleeping time (its on their terms then) and then use that time frame of sleep for during the week on deciding when bedtime is. So, if your child goes to sleep at 9:00 by himself saturday night and sleeps until 8:00 am, then he sleeps naturally on his own 11 hrs, so if during the week he has to be up at 7:00 am for school, put him to sleep at 8:00 pm and see how that goes.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My 3yo and 6yo are supposed to be in bed by 7pm (my 3yo is currently asleep but my 6yo is still up). My 8yo and 9yo kids go to bed at 8pm (last year it was 7pm for all of them). They have to get up by 6:45 and the two youngest ones are early birds and up with the sun (usually at exactly 6am) no matter how early or late they go to bed. Since they need 11-12 hours of sleep they have to go to bed early.
    Both usually end up needing a nap during the day but the 6yo is in school. She comes home cranky and whiny and many days we make her take a nap before she even starts her homework (she's in 1st grade).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My sister puts her kids to bed at 6;30 I think is WAYYYYY to early but her dd (5) is such the b word if she doesnt go to bed at 6:30 and wake up at 6:30 my oldest (6) is in bed at 8:00 or 8:30 she gets to stay up later sometimes!! My younger dd (1) is in bed at 5:00 b/c she lays down on the couch and just goes to bed but my mom watches her through the day b/c me and their dad are both at work so my youngest dd usually stays at my moms!!
    Coolmommy1

Answer by Coolmommy1 at 10:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Lights out at 8 pm at our house for our 4 and 6 year old. My daughter's kindergarten teacher (last year) sent home reminders to the parents at least once a month that children this age need a minimum of 12 hours of sleep each night. Mine get about 10 1/2-11 hours at night and then naps in the afternoon. Your 5 year old may just require more sleep, plus riding the school bus would make me fall asleep too. Something else to pay attention to...does he have large tonsils and adnoids, this can sometimes cause sleep apnea which keeps them from getting the quality sleep they need. Don't feel bad about putting him to bed at 7:30, obviously he needs the sleep. Seriously why do people think that you are a "mean mom"? What is he missing between 7:30 and 8, lol? When my 6 year old was younger, I put her to bed at 7pm and she slept straight through until 7 am. Kids need a lot of sleep!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2009