Kids and BO

My dd is 7 (almost 8). She is starting to need deoderant. She showers everyday and smells fine, but by the time she gets home from school and has been sweating ad playing she smells a little like BO. Is it too you ng for deoderant? What kind would you recommend? Is it normal at this age? does it mean puberty is coming?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son is the same way!!! I'm concerned about early puberty also. I've heard to only get them a deodorant and not a deodorant/anti-perspirant.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 5:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• What about Teen Spirit .. its not strong and its like for younger kids really.
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 5:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• no its perfectly fine. ladies start puberty young, i started my period when i was 9.. so its different for girls.. but i would try teen spirit. i tried that at the age of 8 also. but i went to secret. teen spirit isnt very strong but for a kid it may be okay. secret is fine.. shes not too young>>>
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 6:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Nope, I started using deodorant at 7 or 8 (2nd/3rd grade). Mitchum is the BEST brand to start out with, it knocks the BO right out. It's definitely normal.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 6:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Use a natural deodorant or one that is aluminum free. I don't think it means puberty is coming soon. I was smelling at 8 and didn't hit puberty till 14. My son is 7 and is using deodorant.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• She is in puberty; the hormones are causing the body oder; she has probably started having mood swings.

Use an aluminum free deoderant; I would start with a mineral crystal, or something unscented from Kiss My Face or Lafes.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• i loved teen spirit and trust me giving her deodorant will be far less tramatic than having her classmates call her stinky
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 9:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• At almost 8 years old, i think that is normal. However, I would get a natural deodarent, organic if you can, with no aluminum or harsh chemicals.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2009