What age did your dd start her period?

Stems from another question, but 9 or 10 seems so young!!!

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 6:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Mine hasn't started hers (lol she is only 16months!)

But I started when i was 9.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:09 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My DD is 9 and I'm waiting. I am hoping she "holds out" until closer to 11 (she'll be 10 next month) but I don't know. She already needs a training bra and deodorant. And the mood swing - man, I can live without those. So, I'm guessing she will be 10. I was 12, nearly 13.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My oldest dd got hers just 2 weeks shy of her 13th birthday. I got mine on my 13th b-day so go figure. Mine next oldest dd is 11, our doctor says to expect it to happen for her around the same age as my other dd.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Both of my daughters were 14. I was too. (This was a long time ago...LOL)
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 8:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My dd was in 6th grade, she was 11, almost 12.

She was wearing a training bra, using deodorant, and having mood swings, all that stuff, for about 2 yrs before that. Well, not all at once lol - but she started out with the mood swings, then about 6 months / a year later she was needing a training bra and deodorant.

She started her period, and I explained how to start with, it could happen, then not happen again for several months (what my body did), how it could be light at first, etc. But no, she had her first, it lasted for a week, then every month like clockwork, she has her period.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• The hormones pumped into the animals that most people eat can cause early puberty.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• 12. They say it usually runs in families so if you started early there is a big chance your daughter will too.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I was 9 my mom was 10. LOL Glad my oldest girl is only 3
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My DD was 11 when she got her period. Her grandmother on BD side of the family was only 8 when she gots hers - I cannot even imagine that. I was 13 along with my mom and both of my sisters. My SD is 8 and has been wearing deodorant for about 6 months. I am really hoping she doesn't get her period very soon. She is in no way ready to deal with something like that.
    LifeGoesOn08

Answer by LifeGoesOn08 at 12:13 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Mine was 12. The way the doctor told me to predict it is about 2 years from when they start to develope breasts, so the stage when they need sports or training bras.

My younger ones have just started to develop and they are almost 12, so they will be late bloomers on the period too.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:17 AM on Sep. 18, 2009