My 4 year old likes to lay himself on the floor face down while holding his groin, what does this mean?

Ok, I know this sounds really akward, but my son does this on a continuous basis. He lays himself face down on the floor and holds onto his groin area. He does have adhd and has been diagnosed as autistic, but I don't know if that is a symtom of his diagnosis or what? Is this just a growing stage or is it apart of having a disorder.? He is not fully potty trained so he does wear pullups on occassion. I just find it to be very akward and strange! I have thought about talking with his doctor to see if it ssomething that will go away but I thought I would ask experienced mothers on here to see if their child does the same thing. If there are other moms who notice their child doing this what can you do to stop it and is it something that should be brought up to the doctor?

Halfmoonwife

Asked by Halfmoonwife at 6:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My DD started doing this around 2 years...she's now 7, and occasionally still does it. She is on the spectrum, and has sensory issues. I really wish I could talk more to you about this, but I have to leave right now, so I will message you when I get home! :)
    kamsmw

Answer by kamsmw at 6:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• my boys both do it. One is almost 3 and the other is 5. But, they are just proud of what they have I guess. . .lol They will run all over holding themself, just because they think it is funny. I'm trying to teach them that its not something we do, but they must find some comfort in it or something.
    AliciaO

Answer by AliciaO at 6:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It's normal. He has figured out that it feels good and continues to do it. Some girls kind of hump things like stuffed animals, this is the boy version. You shouldn't make a big deal of it, but encourage him to keep it to in his room and not around other people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It's normal and has nothing to do with being ADHD and I doubt Autistic. It is developmentally appropriate and it is more of a comforting thing rather than a sexual thing. Just let him know that it is ok but he needs to do so in his bedroom only. Don't freak out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 18, 2009