am i being unreasonable? i dont want my Dh to take my car

my dh wants to take my car back and forth to work and right now its uninsured. today his mom paid for a rental car insurance on that then bought him brand new work boots and clothes, for what she spent we could of got both cars insured and his fixed. he already had steele toed boots that were in good condition they just werent pretty, and he had work clothes from his previous job, all thats required is jeans steel toe boots and tshirt/sweatshirt...it would of made more sense to at least insure his car and fix..now im stuck without a car during the day so i have to cancel my kids appointments and blow off my job interview cause i have no way to get there and his mom wont help me out cause she hates me. im also worried that if he gets pulled over the ticket will be stuck on me cause the car is in my name only. he works 2 hours away in a huge city

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• Living in a rural area limits your ability to "go" when you don't have a car. We don't have buses or taxis!! So I know how you feel! I don't think you're unreasonable to not want your DH driving uninsured! In some areas it could be more than a ticket! Huge fines and such! But I think he'd be the one to get the ticket since he is the one driving, but I'm not sure. If you have medicaid you can call for transportation ( I think, at least here you can) for your children's appointments. My neighbor drives for a company that does this.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• This seemed more like a rant to me than anything else, but to answer your question:

No you are not being unreasonable. The car is not insured, he shouldn't drive it. Pretty simple.

As far as your other issues...do you have your parents, a friend, or a taxi that you can call? Or take a bus? If its just routine exams for your kids then yeah go ahead and reschedule, but a job interview is pretty important, you should find someway (including walking) to get there.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• no your not. that kind of ticket is expensive. will his mother pay for it? i doubt it. i think your dh is the one being unreasonable. you can tell him that for me.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• i have no family here and i live out in the country
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• No, you're not wrong to be feeling upset about this, but since he's the only one currently working he really does have to get to work somehow, so unless you have another way to get him there I don't know what you can do. You really can't expect MIL to pay your insurance or fix your car, but it would have been nice and less controlling for her to just give DH the money to take care of his family as he saw fit. It sounds like your DH is a little immature and his mother feeds on babying him and controlling the situation. MIL could have done nothing, which would have been fine, and you would be in the same boat. Hopefully DH's job will help your family get back on it's feet soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Okay, he shouldn't be driving it, but neither should you...technically neither of you have a car right now. If it was insured then yes, he should be able to take it back and forth to work. I can't tell you how many times in my marriage I've been without a car....actually, I am right now. I chose to be a sahm, so he needs the transportation more than I do. If he doesn't go to work. We don't have a place to live.
    Bottom line, you need to find a way to get insurance on the car that's running. Let him get to work, then get his car fixed and insured.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2009