Tracking Your Taxes: Taxpayers Pay for Congressional Travel to Exotic Lands

WTH???? THIS is crazy!!!

Congressional spending on overseas travel tripled in the last eight years. Critics say some lawmakers have little concern over the price tag or who is footing the bill.

According to congressional travel records, House and Senate members spent 6,910 days overseas in the first three quarters of fiscal year 2009, spending a total of $9.4 million.

Mike Thompson (R-Calif.) submitted expenses for a five-day Asian trip in December for $15,943 and listed no countries, no meetings, no names and no purpose of the travel. A month earlier Thompson spent a week in the Middle East -- with no explanation of what taxpayers paid for, just a charge of $10,158.

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Members are allotted up to $500 a day for expenses, in addition to their $170,000 salaries, and are also eligible to fly in either business or first class. For a trip to Europe or Asia, that could cost over $10,000 -- when flying coach costs just a few hundred dollars.

ARE YOU KIDDING???  Do YOU think this is OK??? For EITHER side??

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/09/17/tracking-taxes-taxpayers-paying-congressional-travel-exotic-lands/

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• According to congressional travel records, House and Senate members spent 6,910 days overseas in the first three quarters of fiscal year 2009, spending a total of $9.4 million.

Wow, and they bitch about the poor and ACORN!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I wish I could video them! What a show that would be!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Drinks on the HOUSE and Senate. Your tax paying dollars. Imagine that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Nope, not ok. I do not want to pay for Rep Thompson's "Cultural Awareness Tour of Unamed Asian Countries" nor do I want to pay for all the....ehem...."cash" he will need.

Sorry - first thing that popped into my mind when I read the vagueness of this. In all seriousness, no Asian country has anything that any Rep needs to be looking at right now. Nor does the Middle East - sure, they have oil, but we gotta pay just like the rest.

It's truly disgraceful.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 6:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• THEY SHOULD BITCH ABOUT ACORN!! WTH. This is getting crazy. I thought Obama said, when he was camp, that he was going to go through and get RID pof wastefdul spending! He has time to travel AAAALLL OVER and give speeches EVERY dang day. How about he does his job and start trying to get this crap taken care of!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Hey did anyone notice the poll on the site???

RCP Poll
    President Obama Job Approval
    RCP Average: +11.3% Details
    Approve 53.2%
    Disapprove 41.9%

How about he does his job and start trying to get this crap taken care of! I guess many don't agree with you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I just wrote Boehnor on this. He a few other house members and their aides too a niiiiiice $50,000 (on hotel/travel) jet-setting trip.... As much as I want to believe there are true fiscally conservatives in our government~I read about sh*t like this..... Pisses me off.. Write your Congressmen and women ladies... The need to know we are AWARE and watching EVERY LAST one of THEM!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• If I wasn't helping these guys go on sight seeing trips with my tax dollars maybe I myself could go to some of the countries I've wanted to visit all my life but haven't had to money to do so. Its rediculous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2009