How soon after they break your water..

should the doctor start discussing c setion if you aren't progressing? A friend of mine has been in labor for 6 days and went to ER last night, they broke her water at 8 am and gave epi at noon, it's now 4pm and she still isn't progressing? What's the limit?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 6:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well 24 hrs after the water breaks theres a VERY high risk of infection but if she is in active pushing labor the time limit is 3hrs at the most before the babies heart rate will start to drop and they have to get the baby out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My water broke and labor didn't began nor did I progress. C-section was never mentioned. They took other measures to get labor to progress.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Anon: 54, how long did they wait before they did anything else?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• If you are in a hospital environment it's the hurry-up & get 'em out environment: 24 hours, maybe.
    If you're outside of that environment you can go as long as you choose, providing all is well and fine.

I waited over a week after mine ruptured on their own.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• depends on the OB but probably they won't give her long. poor momma :( my best wishes to her!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2009