How do you pick a Dr?

I loved my first one, hated the last one, unfortunatly I don't have the option of going back to the first one (or I would have went back instead of dealing with the jerk I had last). I'm in a completely different area. How do you pic a good dr from the start??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you interview them, go into their office, make an appointment to meet them. if you like what you see, go back, if not, go try another one. Find out policies of the office. I love two of the OBGYNs in the office here, the third one I am not so fond of. But their policy is when you go into labor, the one on call is the one who comes, so you get no say unless its a planned c section. luckily when I have another one, it will be a planned c-section because of my previous one.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 7:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Once I got pregnant, they gave me a different OB/GYN because the one i had was no longer doing the whole OB thing. I loved the doctor I got. He was great. I actually hope I get him when I get pregnant again.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 7:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I agree with auroura.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I agree with auroura too, but I will take it one step further-make a list of questions relating to your prenatal care and childbirth experience that concern you, and ask your ob how they feel about those. for example, are they flexible on vbacs, pain meds, prenatal testing, choices..etc etc Your ob-gyn should be knowledgeable, understanding and flexible, and should be able to give you some personal attention and quickly and effectively be able to address your needs.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 7:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• i have to see what dr's my healthcare provides and then i look for the closets dr's, then i call ladies who are pregnant or recently had a baby and see if they have seen any of the dr's on my list. i ask questions that i want to know, i.e which hospital are they with, do they do only c sections cause i never want one, do they have a female dr as i prefer them, how professional or friendly or precise are they with the handling of their office or your care also but it's not as important but what religion are they. then i call the office and ask the important questions like the hospital affliations, how long in business, females versus male rd's etc
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Are you talking prenatal care or a pediatrician?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2009