sleep schedule for a 4 month old.

OK, my baby feeds every three hours during the day and will only take short 30 minute naps right before her next feed. She wakes up really tired and cranky and I've never been able to get her back to sleep for longer no matter what I try! My sister, who has a 3 year old, says this is crazy and that she should be sleeping for longer during the day. Is it time that I start trying to keep her up longer during the day so that she'll sleep longer (like 2 or 3 big naps). I usually just rock her to sleep when she shows signs of tiredness, but all these little cat naps don't seem to be doing her much good.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would'nt force her to sleep, she will sleep when she is tired. Every baby is different... my daughter use to sleep all day and be up every 1-2 hours all night. She didn't break that habit till about 6 months. My doctor told me not to wake her during the day...... because it can actually make them more cranky. Soon enough she will develop a much better schedule, I thought my daughter would never sleep at night, but eventually she did and now she has a great schedule!
    mandy628

Answer by mandy628 at 7:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• My almost 4 month old does the exact same thing. Now and then she'll take a real daytime nap (2-3 hrs) but most days it's just little short naps at random times...Although she isn't cranky so this seems to work for her...when she wakes up cranky can you nurse her and try to put her right back down? I wish you luck! I will say all babies are different so don't feel like you need to follow a schedule that someone else's baby used...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I had a similar situation with my four month old. Two books I found helpful: the 90 minute Baby Sleep Program by Polly Moore and the Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg. I think the first one helped the most because it really helped me tune into my babies natural rhythms. I learned what to expect and thus had a guideline. I would highly recommend it. Also, try darkening the room as much as possible and swaddling the baby if still appropriate. My DS takes at least one 2 hour nap during the day, and his other 2-3 naps are 30 mins in length.....thats just his pattern. He wakes up twice at night to feed......I am trying to drop it to one. Good Luck.
    bmorton

Answer by bmorton at 10:51 PM on Sep. 17, 2009