Moms, please answer...

I'm wondering if this is a cause for concern...

I'm almost 38 weeks pregnant, and my baby kicks constantly, and HARD. I've noticed that today, while he is moving, his movement and kicks seem so light...not nearly as strong as they usually are. Do you think this is a cause for concern? I'm considering going to the hospital bc my Dr.'s office obviously isn't open at this hour, but I'm scared I'm over-reacting, bc he definitely is moving at least 4-5 times per hour which is what they tell you to watch for. Is a decrease in the strength of the movements a cause for concern?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 7:51 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Nah, they start moving less towards the end. They are so squeezed in there by 38 weeks. Stop worrying Stef, everything is fine. Wait a few days and see if it goes back to strong or if it stays light. The important thing is the baby is still moving. Congrats you're about to pop soon!! Better come back here and show him off.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• It could be that the baby has moved so it's not kicking where you feel it as much. Or maybe your body is getting ready to go into labor and the baby can feel it. I dont think i'd worry unless there was no movement at all.

In any case, call labor and delivery just to ease your mind! They are there 24 hours and can answer your questions for sure!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 7:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• As long as this kid is kicking at all, I wouldn't worry. They do move less. If you're really worried, call the nurse.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• So...you guys think that if I call labor and delivery, at the hospital I'll be delivering, they'll be able to answer the question? Or should I call my Dr.'s on-call emergency number? It probably isn't an emergency though, so I don't think I wanna call him.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Stefanie, ease your mind and call the hospital. I'm sure you'll find that everything is fine and going according to plan. The nurses are patient and you're definitely not the first anxious mom that will call with questions. Congratulations and best wishes for the new baby!
    LizS528

Answer by LizS528 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• i wouldnt worry. any thing you read on that subject will tell you that first of all he is too big for those powerful kicks at this point, and that second babies are just ike you and i. they have days of hyperactivity and days where they are exhausted and pretty much sleep all day and every sort of day in between. but the bast advice for a pregnant mom is if your worried, call because stress of worry can cause many problems for you and your baby. i had placenta previa with my last pregnancy and rather than worry and make things worse i called the doctor everytime something occured that had not yet occured.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 8:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Hun,go down there and get on the monitor for awhile. It'll make you feel better and rest easy. I would never tell you it's fine if I wasn't right there with you. It probably is but go anyway,they won't think it's silly and who cares if they did. He's YOUR baby!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Well, I called and as I'm on the freakin' phone, he starts moving a lot! He waits until I'm almost in tears to start moving like normal, after only fluttering all day. Now I've felt about 15 movements in the last 15 minutes. They told me that it's normal for them to be lighter, and to make sure he kicks (like I knew they'd say) 4-5 times an hour. I'm going to pay very close attention, but for now, I'm feeling better. Thanks again ladies for calming me down and steering me in the right direction when I was super worried. I can't wait until he's out...one week until they deliver him. Then...I'll find a whole new set of things to worry about, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• also he may have just changed positions, my daugter turned so i could only feel her kicks near my back on my left side and they felt so week there.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 8:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• i think when they get bigger they have less room to really get the momentum to kick hard. lol. but i'm glad when he heard you talking about him on the phone he decided to get moving. :) good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2009