do I report it to the police or just let it go (pleas read all the way through)

a little over a month ago when pulling into a parking spot the side of my van bumped the back corner of another van. I got out checked it out and saw no damage. I thought for sure if I left my info that some damage would magically appear and so since I didnt see anything I just let it go and didnt leave my info. Someone in the lot saw me leave without leaving my info and took down my plate and left it on their windshield. A week later a police officer called me investigating a hit and run. I told him exactly what happened and he said the people claim there is $700 worth of damage going all the way up to their sliding door. I told him we would pay for it and take care of it and he said he had to cite me for hit and run of an unattended vehicle but advised me to contest it and just tell teh judge everything and that I would probably get off expecially since I was paying for the damage. I submitted the claim to my insurance cont

katiekruschke

Asked by katiekruschke at 8:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• and about a week ago the woman I hit called me and asked me if I would like to work it out outside of the insurance companies. She said the estimate she got was a little high and she would be totally fine if I just gave her $350. I told her I had already filed teh claim and that I pay over $100 a month for insurance so that when stuff like this happens I am taken care of. It seemed fishy to me so I went to my insurance agents office today to ask him what they actually ended up paying out and at this point it's NOTHING. When they went out and checked out the "damage" they couldnt find any. Now I know leaving the scene was a retarded thing to do and looking back I realize I had other options. I will take the consequences the county gives me adn pay the fines because I shouldnt have left without doing something but this chick has clearly lied to law enforcement and has tried to more or less steal from me. cont
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• So should I call the officer who cited me back and let him know the rest of the story or should I just let it go?
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't let it go.
    However, like the officer suggested when he warned you that he would have to cite you, and just contest it and let the judge know what happened... let that judge ALSO know that (if it's in the right time frame) the woman whom you "hit" contacted you, asking if you would like to settle the matter outside of the insurance company - and you said that you had already filed, and there was nothing you could do about it, which lead to you contacting your insurance company and so far, your insurance company has not paid for anything - and you are perfectly willing to do so.
    Just leave it at that matter.
    If he asks more, answer to the best of your knowledge - but more than likely, your insurance company will also do something as well.

Best of luck to you!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 8:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Meant to add after "your insurance company has not paid for anything" because they could not find any damages done to the van.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 8:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I would tell them just so they know if she does it again.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 8:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• No because regardless of what she did you broke the law. You never ever leave after you hit another car no matter how minor.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• legalmommy I know what I did was wrong which is why I am more than willing to pay the hefty fine and take the hit to my license but this woman lied to a police officer who was doing an investigation to the best of my knowledge thats called obstruction of justice
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• The insurance company will contact the police to file a report if they feel it's necessary. Same thing happened to me but it wasn't a hit and run. Let's just say it was a good thing I took pictures of both my car and her car right then and there. She filed some bogus claim and actually did damage to her car to make it look like I had hit her harder than I had claimed. I went through two insurance adjusters and sent them the pictures I took and it was dropped. The insurance company will take care of it. I don't think you should talk to the police about it because it will go on record and the judge might think you are trying to act like it wasn't a big deal. Let the insurance company handle it. I always tell everyone I know to have a camera in their car "just in case".

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• thats good to know I didnt know the insurance company will notify law enforcement if necessary. THANKS for the extra info!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• You broke the law.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2009