First-time mom question, here...

I'm having my baby delivered by c section a week from today, and I was wondering if I need to wash all of his new clothes before he wears them?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 8:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes. A baby's skin is extremely sensitive. Chemicals are used in clothing for colorfasting, etc., that aren't washed out before you buy them. Ever notice that "new clothes" smell? I personally don't always wash my clothes before wearing them, but always my baby's. A baby can even get a rash from a too strong detergent. My pediatrician and everyone else always recommended a laundry liquid made for babies so that's what I've always done.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I always recommend it. It's just a comfort thing, I guess, as I really don't think new ones would harm him. But, I always liked washing their little clothes in Dreft.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I agree! I don't think that you have to but if you want to it could not hurt. I have put my babies in brand new clothes also without washing and that was fine too. Of course when you wash them, they do get a little softer and not so store stiff. My last baby was c-section so if you have any questions or concerns then please message me. Good Luck and Congratulations!

rbmommy

Answer by rbmommy at 8:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Yes! Unless they are organic, they have toxic residue from the dyes. You should ALWAYS wash clothing before wearing.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Great, thanks again ladies! I'm starting a load of his little clothes now. I bought a detergent especially for babies too. This site really does come in handy sometimes, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:09 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I worked at Gap for a few years and after seeing how the clothes are delivered to stores.. in dusty boxes, thrown on the floor to be folded, etc.. i always wash all clothes before wearing them
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 9:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Yeah wash the baby's clothes...but if you can't afford dreft don't sweat it. Vinegar also does the trick...believe it or not.
    SparklinSarcasm

Answer by SparklinSarcasm at 9:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I would wash the clothe in what ever you are washing your clothes in. honestly I see no point in using the over priced baby detergents unless you are going to do everyone in the houses clothes in it. Think about it. The baby will be laying on your bed, against your clothes, wrapped in a bath towel...If you have sensitive skin in the family then it would be different I guess though...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:09 PM on Sep. 17, 2009